300Tdi wire rubbing on starter motor

I was fitting a turbo gauge and noticed there was a crackling noise every time I nudged the intake pipe. I thought it was the convoluted tubing but then I noticed the sparks.

This wire (which I believe is the alternator to starter motor connection) has rubbed through on the corner of the starter motor. It has got to the stage where it has cut through halfway. 156k miles

post-18025-0-41791600-1384026327_thumb.jpgpost-18025-0-42961500-1384026128_thumb.jpg

I seems a bit stupid and thought that there might have been a bodge in the past seeing as it was held with a cable tie and the convoluted tubing ended short, but no it's like this from the factory! Rave image with arrow where it rubbed through:

post-18025-0-52243100-1384026494_thumb.jpg

Discoveries as shown in this thread have a better set up

med_gallery_2_344_868444.jpg

I expect it's having an effect on the charging as this is part of the connection from alternator to battery.

Has this happened to anyone else? And if not maybe check it... :)

Yup I've had similar experience but at the other end of that cable

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=79270

When I replaced it I went the more direct route and avoided wrapping around the head. I used tube conduit, heat shrunk at either end covered by spiral conduit. Belt and braces method. Also doubled up on starter earth, ran one cable to chassis n one battery. Hope this helps.

Oh by the way, the cable worked cheaper to buy heavy duty starter cables rather that cable off the roll.