front brakes and maybe rear

miketomcat

I have a complete set of disco 200tdi (front vented) brakes and also all the parts for an early 110 set up plus rear disc conversion. Now the question is which set up do I use on my ibex (long wheelbase Salisbury rear axle). My current thinking is use the vented front axle but do I use the disco calipers or source some vented 110 calipers and do I use disco or 110 rear calipers I'm converting the Salisbury and have both calipers. I'm happy to use either single line (110) or double line (disco) system on the 110 pedal box. The vehicle will be IVA'ed so the brakes will be tested properly before it goes on the road.

Mike

the single line 110 system would be the easiest to pipe for, the 110 master cylinder only has one connection for front & one connection for rear, & a low fluid level cap [as pre 300tdi onwards vehicles]

each of the calipers only have one connection plus the bleed screw.

I think keep it as simple as possible, less connections to leak & easy to fix if anything does go wrong.

on the rear use the 110 calipers, don't forget you'll need a spacer between axle flange & the caliper bracket, I had to have some 10mm thick spacers made when I converted my rear axle the 6mm spacer that diesel jim used weren't thick enough to align my caliper & disc correctly, I have a pair of 6mm & 12mm thick spacers here if you need them, the 12's can be ground down to 10mm if required.

I know I can use a disco master cylinder and servo on a 110 pedal box with a few mods as I did this on 45. I was more thinking I know the disco brakes work as I'm still driving it, I'm more interested in whether disco vented is as good as solid 110 bear in mind the disco calipers are smaller. If they are then do I use disco rear to match. I guess I'm trying to save some penny's as the 110 bits I have have a questionable history and I'd have to buy 110 vented calipers to use the disco axle.

Mike

Do you intend to carry a lot of weight? If not, and you are not planning on fitting a G-valve of some sort, then I would be tempted to go for 110 fronts and 90/disco rears. The OEM AP calipers for 110 vented set up can be had reasonbly cheaply if you keep your eyes open. I had an MOD surplus LH one for about £40 (I have never seen a RH one for sale!) and haggled a RH one from local factors for about £65.

• 2 weeks later...