Shall I have this series 3 ?

Landowner

Assuming it goes well and has an MOT I'd say that some people would be asking rather more than that for it.

Its a non-standard vehicle in that it has a 2.5 NA engine fitted. It should have a 3 bearing diesel (if it was made as diesel). Conversion seems to have been done neatly.

Have you driven one on the road? They're a bit different to a 200TDi 90.

after all the work you've done on the 90, I would keep the 90.

You are probably right, really enjoying cruising and listening to the radio and better mpg, selling in March after all the work is done as that was the plan and by then my project 90 will be ready.

Some one is going to get a cracking 90 :)

It could be good - it looks straight and the engine bay conversion appears neat. Photos don't show detail of chassis or mechanical condition, though.

It doesn't have mud shields under the front wings and the bolt holes in the foot wells are letting water in. If they haven't been fitted, with their importance in protecting the heater and pedal boxes, what else is missing? Fine if it's a job being completed, but if the car is being run like that routinely, I wouldn't go for it because the approach of leaving off protective panels is a worrying indicator. I'd have to know what was going on there to make a guess on the condition of the innards of the vehicle and the care taken over it, as a fresh lick of paint for sale says nothing.

It could be good - it looks straight and the engine bay conversion appears neat. Photos don't show detail of chassis or mechanical condition, though.

It doesn't have mud shields under the front wings and the bolt holes in the foot wells are letting water in. If they haven't been fitted, with their importance in protecting the heater and pedal boxes, what else is missing? Fine if it's a job being completed, but if the car is being run like that routinely, I wouldn't go for it because the approach of leaving off protective panels is a worrying indicator. I'd have to know what was going on there to make a guess on the condition of the innards of the vehicle and the care taken over it, as a fresh lick of paint for sale says nothing.

Its part put back together and the chassis is sound with a patch needed on an outrigger only. The floor is wet because I had just jet washed it, its a good solid vehicle. Would have been nicer with the petrol engine left in but he wanted a diesel so in went my old 2.5n/a which has good compressions, doesn't smoke at all and starts on the button even when covered in frost.

I am very tempted but its just more work as I would have it back as it should be, maybe with a canvas top. Best leave it for now as I have enough projects at the moment to more than see me out :)

That's fine then - photos taken while the work is still under way can be misleading, but you are clearly satisfied with the workmanship. I didn't know you are already familiar with the vehicle!

Its the one that will only do 50 or 60 now with 3.45 diffs fitted, it would start off in third without slipping the clutch

Looks pretty good, looks to have had new footwells put in at some point :) I would say yes but I would have though a good 90 like yours to be worth more than the value of this series.

Has it got a galv chassis fitted?

No galv chassis and you are right about values, my friend was going to give me cash as well.

My 90 is going to be sold in March as that was always the plan, didn't plan on rebuilding axles and swapping the engine though it was just a vehicle to use whilst I finished my project 90. Worth the work though, its a brilliant drive