Need a pic of an injector pump pulley 'holding tool'

Hi,

I wish to remove the injector pump for servicing on my 19J engine but want to avoid the hassle of removing the timing cover et al. I have heard there is in existence a tool for holding the pump belt pulley in place whilst the pump is removed and replaced, applied presumably through the round steel access plate at the front. Can anybody suggest where I might get a pic of one of these tools so that I could turn one up for myself ?

Thanks in anticipation.

Thanks guys for prompt replies, but I'm pretty sure the ebay tool on "cwazywabbit's" link and the others referred to here are 'timing tools' as distinct from the 'pump pulley/sprocket holding tool' that I want to see. Am I right in my assumption ? If so I'm still looking.......

it's used to clamp the timing gear pulley & belt in place to allow the injection pump to be removed for maintenance/repair, the timing case front cover circular plate is removed & the holding tool located with it's 4 bolts tightened then the 3 bolts of the timing gear are removed then pump can be removed, it's meant to secure the gear so resetting the timing doesn't need doing when the FIP is refitted.

it's used to clamp the timing gear pulley & belt in place to allow the injection pump to be removed for maintenance/repair, the timing case front cover circular plate is removed & the holding tool located with it's 4 bolts tightened then the 3 bolts of the timing gear are removed then pump can be removed, it's meant to secure the gear so resetting the timing doesn't need doing when the FIP is refitted.

Got it, forgot the pulley was removable

I have a pump with the bit that the pulley is bolted too, , missing. I cant use it as retiming it is way beyond my capabilities

Thanks guys for prompt replies, but I'm pretty sure the ebay tool on "cwazywabbit's" link and the others referred to here are 'timing tools' as distinct from the 'pump pulley/sprocket holding tool' that I want to see. Am I right in my assumption ? If so I'm still looking.......

See section 4.3 of these instructions http://www.tooled-up.com/artwork/ProdPDF/SEASEAVS1291_Parts.pdf

IIRC the pulley mounting part is a taper fit to the pump shaft, so it would need to be bench set to ensure the timing was correct.

Correct, I bought it off ebay and they took everything off the pump so it was useless to me, they sent me another one which is still running as far as I know. So I have a good pump which is worth nowt because it need calibrating/retiming

"western" has hit the nail on the head with his description and "cwazywabbit" has done even better by pinpointing the item in section 4.3 of his link. This is the first time I've seen a sketch of one and can now try to figure out how one could be made up to apply to the 19J engine. If anyone had one, (even for a TDI engine), and could send a couple of pics of it, it would really sew this thing up for me .

Much saving in time and difficult access as "puffernutter" says, would make the tool really worth having.

• 7 months later...

I never did get any help regarding dimensioned sketches, etc so I did the only thing I could do, and made one up myself from scratch which works extremely well and is a real time saver if removing and replacing the injector pump. I posted this with pics on the landyzone 19J Forum section on 13/07/14 entitled: 19J Injector Pump Pulley Wheel Holding Tool, for anyone who may be interested.

• 2 weeks later...

That's one way to remove the pump. However another way as mentioned is to remove the front cover, timing belt etc., and then remove the pump. This results in the pump "falling off" its advance, but it's fairly simple to reset the advance on the workbench, provided that you have a locking plug to hold the pump shaft advanced on its lobe prior to reinstalling the pump and timing belt. Final adjustment of the timing would then be done after removing the locking plug by following the usual belt timing guidance in the WSM (or the Difflock guide - even better!).