series 3 88" brakes grabbing when reversing

dm7288

Hi all,

I have fitted new shoes and drums all round.

when i spin a wheel backwards the trailing shoe grabs and locks the wheel solid.

All of the springs are fitted correctly as are the shoes, all wheels grab when off the ground and rotated backwards.

Any ideas?

Dave..

Chamferring usually helps - but some pattern cylinders have a very strong internal spring which means that the shoe is pushed hard against the drum - causing it to pick up when reversing. I had trouble fitting the drum on one vehicle and the replacement cylinder had a noticeably stronger spring than the (sound) cylinder I'd removed - so I carefully dismantled the cylinder and fitted the spring from the old one - no problems.

I've chamfered approx a 30 mm lead on the rearmost brake shoe on each one.

Seems to have cured the problem.

The wheel cylinders are lucas ones, didn't check the spring resistance as all 4 original wheel cylinders had seized up, it had been sitting for some time before I bought it.