Rotten Body Mounts

JB750

While I'm waiting for the replacement Flexi plate for my 300Tdi, I have been looking into the front sill body mounts, they had an advisory last MOT for light corrosion. Well the nearside is a lot more than 'light corrosion'!
Problem is, I have undone all 5 body mount bolts as advised on here and other sites, but when I try and lift the body using well-placed jacks and wood, the rear sill mount does not seem to want to move.

I have freed all the bolts off, but I just cannot get the body mount lower bush to let go of the chassis! All the others seem ready to go, just the rear sill one giving me grief.

Any ideas on how best to free it off?

Also, once I manage to get the body high enough to get the rubbers etc. out, how best to replace the mount, as it's a real PITA to get at?

Thanks for any help smile.gif

JB

Body mounting points for Land Rover Discovery 1

2 at front of body bottom of light boxes

2 at bulk head

2 at bottoms of "A" posts

2 on inside of chassis rails either side of the transfer box

2 at back of sills

2 in the boot floor

2 on rear body cross member

Could it be that the body is being held down by the mounting bolts in the boot floor and the ones by the transfer box? I don't think there is that mux flex in the body without undoing those ones!

If the body mount is badly corroded then the mount itself will rot into the rubber of the bush and the bolt making it very difficult to remove.

Mine look something like this.

Rusty161213005_zpsc49e6222.jpg

Please excuse pigeon sh!t welding on the sills from previous owners.

Thanks for that. I was on the understanding that there were 5 each side so I've missed a couple then?

That photo looks about the same as mine! Hope I can sort it out before too lng as I want to get it on the road soonest, we are moving down to Cornwall in the not too distant future so need it roadworthy.

I am going to cut the bottom off the wheel arch to open up that side to enable me to get in to weld the new mount on properly, I have the gear to weld it back on again so why faff and struggle for the sake of 10/15 minutes to weld the section back on?

Make life easy :)

Thanks for the info guys :) Think I might get a couple of the mounts in DrRob's post, looks a bit easier than faffing around trying to get into the small corners.

Now the whisky and beer has worn off I might be able to get out in the garage :D