Side lights, Head lights and MOT

The Saint

I want to move the side light/head light switch from the steering column cowl on my RRC to the centre console with a rocker switch.

I believe that the current switch has 3 positions, Off - Side - Side and Headlights.

I am trying to figure out what switch I need to put into the centre console. What do I need to be aware of for the MOT when selecting the switch?

Do the side lights need to be on when the headlights are?

Do the side lights need to be able to be turned on when the ignition is off?

I was going to order 2 x On - Off switches. One for side and one for headlights and then the above thoughts popped into my head from somewhere ?!?!?!?!

I had a look at the MOT testers manual but it doesn't go that in-depth.

Can't see a problem with moving it from the stalk to the dash as this is how many new vehicles are today.

I did wonder if something like this might be better than a rocker switch though?

https://www.google.be/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=IaKZpJynU9x2fM&tbnid=my3d2m3CvGyWWM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FAutomotive-Multifunction-Headlight-Volkswagen-1999-2004%2Fdp%2FB005EPLK4G&ei=HO--UpCKHcO_0QWL_IHIDQ&bvm=bv.58187178,d.bGQ&psig=AFQjCNGrf2zq3CiKe4D8qnU3NjSJNDa6Ew&ust=1388330854993072

Gives you the fogs on the same switch too?

Should be easy enough to locate a scrap one with wiring attached and away you go, should be a simple enough project to wire it in :)

side/tail MUST be capable of being switched on with ignition on or off [ign off, side/tail lights on as parking lights for unlit roads if parked facing on coming traffic]

side/tail must be on with headlights on dip beam & stay on when main [full] beam is selected.

the way the wiring is set up on the RRC , you dont have a lot of choice , as sidelights are on two different circuits , so if you lose one you dont lose both ! A off on on switch will do the job , as you will just extending the wiring from the column to wherever you fit the other switch , dont really see the point , but whatever floats your boat ;)

If you're really set on using two switches, you could wire the headlamp

switch so that it's powered from the output side of the side light switch.

Thus, the headlamps won't work without side lights.

This does assume that you can tap the existing wiring/relays etc.

A proper headlamp switch would be much less trouble, as already stated!

So it will have to be an OFF-ON-ON switch. I would of liked to of had a separate switch for the side and headlights.

Seems like a silly law since a tiny sidelight bulb is not going to be seen inside a 7" bowl with the dipped or main beam on.

You would need to separate the front and rear circuits to make sure you always had tail lights when either dip/main or side was selected.

If you lost a dip bulb you would still want side position lights working.

Seems a lot of hassle for something worse than the normal setup but it could be done.

Thanks for the pointers. I've got my head around it now. I was only thinking why I do I need the front sides on when the headlamps were on and it would be nice to operate them separately. Totally forgot about the tail lights. A bit dangerous to turn side lights (tail lights) off when the headlights are on.

I will get back in my box and order a OFF-ON-ON SWITCH.

Thank you.