R380 main shaft collar

skauldy

I think the tools are actually shown on here, usually looking at them gives me an idea of how to fab something up

Replacer Mainshaft Fifth Gear and Collar Ref: LRT-37-015

http://www.dingocroft.co.uk/acatalog/Gearbox_Tools.html

Adaptor for replacing Oil Seal Collar Ref: LRT-37-021

http://www.dingocroft.co.uk/acatalog/Gearbox_Tools-p2.html

I think the tools are actually shown on here, usually looking at them gives me an idea of how to fab something up

Replacer Mainshaft Fifth Gear and Collar Ref: LRT-37-015

http://www.dingocroft.co.uk/acatalog/Gearbox_Tools.html

Adaptor for replacing Oil Seal Collar Ref: LRT-37-021

http://www.dingocroft.co.uk/acatalog/Gearbox_Tools-p2.html

I was looking at the genuine tools all right to get an idea but haven't a clue how its meant to work. What does the small threaded adapter sit.

Looking for something a bit more up the engineering techniques rather then a hammer and tube.

Firstly: never done this before & the R380 is not one sat on my garage floor at present (LT85 is) .....but

Looking at the sketches, I would have said that the mainshaft has a hole in the end of it which is threaded, and the tube goes over the mainshaft, and has a flange welded on the end of it with a hole in the end of it, hence as you tighten the long bolt, it will force the collar and gear on. The different length bolts may be because one is for the collar and the other for the gear (as the length of tube is fixed length??)

Hammer and a tube may not be too bad.... presume you have a bearing of similar size / diameter??? I would use that (or the old collar if it's replaceable with a slot in it [angle grinder, thin cutting disk, I use the same approach with the garage press to press bearings in) and a length of tube, with a plate welded on the end to provide a flat hammer surface, then use a deadblow hammer / a bronze mallet (not the usual LR spec hammer).

Or if you've got a workshop press..... then the same principle as above, but without the hammer. :blink: (sorry I had to say that)

I don't know if we are allowed to post LR manual links, but they are all available on the web, and there are a few sketches of the tool in different positions (search for the tool numbers and you'll find the manuals)

Small threaded adapter ... do you mean the one that screws into the end of the R380 output shaft to give you a male thread the same as the one that already exists on an lt77 output shaft?

Yep that's the one. It's coming together now.

Robert yep there is a female thread on the end of the main shaft. I wasn't too sure about putting pressure on the housing when pushing the coller on but I'm sure if I support it with wood, the wood will deform and protect the gearbox housing. I'm sure the pressure won't be too high. I'll try it with the bearing press.

You're over complicating things.......the sleeves tap on quite easily (always use a new one) just find a suitable bit of pipe and tap it on until you can get the circlip in place. No need for anything more scientific than that. I've done loads like this....

Jon

Hi Jon,

the box i have stripped, an L suffix doesn't have a circlip on the mainshaft near the collar nor the J suffix i stripped before it. I'll tap it on and see how i go. Was just being cautious as below you will see the size of the pullers required to remove it plus i had a drift and a hammer shocking the collar as the puller wasn't able to remove it by itself

post-50869-0-14193500-1389201941_thumb.jpg