3.1 Isuzu into defender

Has anyone had experience of fitting Isuzu 4jg2 3.1 engine onto defender R380 gearbox. I am doing this conversion right now using a Conversion and Precision kit but they neglect to tell you about the oil filter and clutch slave cylinder problem. Tried to get remote filter kit but as far as I can see they are not available.

I've fitted a couple of 2.8 4Jb1T which I believe are pretty much the same as the 3.1 - there were a couple of different styles of oil filter housing - one which pointed back at an angle which would get in the way of other stuff on a LR, from memory this was on a Frontera, and the other style which left the filter in a similar position to a TDi engine was on an Isuzu pick-up engine, which should also be the same as Trooper.

I think the block is fundamentaly the same, so you may find a trooper filter housing will do what you need.

hmm - thinking back, you may have a problem with either as both styles might get in the way of the slave anyway.

Don't know off the top of my head if it can be done due to differing shaft lengths etc, but wonder if you could swap the bellhousing on your R380 to an LT77 one to swap the slave to the other side??

Cant you just get a remote filter header, eg Rover V8 filter fit. , and then couple of hoses and get a adapter machined up from a lump of ali to fit in place of your filter?

eg http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOCAL-RFH1E-3-4UNF-REMOTE-OIL-FILTER-HEAD-WESTFIELD-CATERHAM-7-DAX-LOCOST-ST1-/151159387287?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2331cd3497

You may also find that some oil pipes foul the engine mounts. I put a frontera 2.8 into my defender a year ago. I had a seized up trooper 2.8 so used all the parts from that that I needed. Had to modify the water cooling pipe routing to go through the older trooper oil filter/heatsink.

I have wondered about the 3.1 the early ones were bored out 2.8s but I think there was a version that dffered a bit more as the 3.1 went to indirect injection.