Suspension upgrade

Wellsy

My 200tdi is lower on one side of the rear so it looks like the spring needs replacing. the ride quality is harsh also.

I use the vehicle to carry lots of building kit and occasional trailer pulling.

Can anyone recommend some decent quality HD springs and shocks for front and rear. It is not used off-road.

I see Europarts are offering Sachs and KYB shocks any comments on those?

Wellsy

I think it's just a topic that's been done to death.

The best quality springs tend to be land rover ones and is you search there is a spring list on a web site that's referenced from here a lot.

It gives the spring length and poundage - so you can look what you have now and look for further options with a higher spring rate.

Also referenced from this site a lot is an online spring calculator - so if you weigh your truck front and rear, deducting the un-spring weight (which you can estimate by searching on here), you can then work out what the change in ride heigh will be from fitting those springs.

Shocks wise - everyone has an opinion but it's pretty much as said above. I have OME and they are excellent.

The built in site search is quite poor but if you put into google::

Site:lr4x4.com hd spring list

Or the like you'll find lots and lots of opinions given before :)

Buy Genuine springs and Koni Heavy Track shocks, my opinin for what it is worth.

This is one of them subjects that is so hit and miss with aftermarket springs, you can fit BP cheapo specials and have no problems or you can fit terrafirma, OME, Bearmach etc, and have nothing but grief, you pays your money and all that.

From personal experience I have had no problems with any of the aftermarket stuff but know guys who have had endless prblems with trucks not sitting level or premature sagging with a heavily loaded truck on all brands of aftermarket springs.

Shocks again are a subject where searching google will bring such mixed results of "fantastic" to "worst carp I ever wasted money on".

Might pay to do some searches for any particular brand and type and then ask a more specific question based on that, often a general spring and shock question is not appealing, as in, a lot of people have gone round the houses so many times discussing, that the subject is no longer interesting.

I thought I had replied before with "genuine" but seems not :unsure:

Is there a particular brand you are interested in???

I run genuine Land Rover "Camel" springs front and rear with Bilstein shocks with 15mm shafts. All have done well over 90K kilometres of surfaces from corrugations that give you nose bleeds over Australian Deserts to highway blacktop. The only time I ever had a problem with the Bilsteins was when I stupidly fitted neoprene bushes in the rears, never again !! The road was that rough both rears bent because there wasnt enough flex in the top bushes, lesson learnt, bushes are cheap and easy to replace, Bilsteins are bloody expensive !! :angry2: but I believe that they are the best there is.

Custom built with 15mm shafts. (non adjustable). The local Sydney Australia importer assembled them for me at a very reasonable cost, standard units were I believe $320 each, I paid $420 for each unit to have the uprated 15mm shafts and competition rated valves. I used to use them on my rally car which was virtually indestructable. Fitting gaitors on the front units over the shafts is essential however, even on the worst corrugations Bilsteins never go spongy and only once let me down when I fitted nolathane bushes on the rears - never again, I'll stick to standard rubber units which have more "give". Currently the fronts have done over 170K very hard kilometres the rears 120K. Yes, expensive initial outlay but great value for money.