Steyr M14 into Landrover

plasticbadger

I may have stubbled across a slightly sick 2100cc Steyr marine M40 engine (marine version of M14, 164hp / 320Nm) and I can't help picturing it in a Landrover....

It's reasonably open knowledge that Ricardo fitted Landrover Wolf WMIK upgraded vehicles with a Steyr diesel engine when under taking the 4.1T GVW upgrade, though there's seems to be little knowledge on whether it was the 6 cylinder M16 engine or the 4 cylinder M14 engine.

So my question is, does anybody know what gearbox they used or if there's any history of the M14 engine being fitted to an R380 gearbox? Obviously anything is possible and if this project went ahead I'd need to de-marinise the engine anyway, so extra work to fit to the gearbox would be fine, but I'd like a starting point of whether there's some history / parts that would help!

Alternatively does anybody know of any cheap Steyr powered donor vehicles that could donate flywheel, clutch, bell housing etc?

"De-marinising" an engine can be tricky: marine engines (like generator and industrial/agricultural-utility engines) are often tweaked to operate at peak efficiency over a rather narrowly governed rev-range.

Converting them back to vehicle wide-rev-range duty can include changing the injection-pump/governor [or the ECU], the camshaft, and the turbo/wastegate setup.

It's reasonably open knowledge that Ricardo fitted Landrover Wolf WMIK upgraded vehicles with a Steyr diesel engine when under taking the 4.1T GVW upgrade, though there's seems to be little knowledge on whether it was the 6 cylinder M16 engine or the 4 cylinder M14 engine.

Steyr appears to suggest it was the M14, http://www.steyr-motors.com/automotive/applications-gallery/ricardo-defender-m14-vti-168/

News to me, I thought I had read the WMIK had a 2.8 of some form.

This is all news to me, I've been up close with wmik's and never knew they had something interesting under the bonnet. I would have taken a closer look at the mechanics of it if I'd known

"De-marinising" an engine can be tricky: marine engines (like generator and industrial/agricultural-utility engines) are often tweaked to operate at peak efficiency over a rather narrowly governed rev-range.

Converting them back to vehicle wide-rev-range duty can include changing the injection-pump/governor [or the ECU], the camshaft, and the turbo/wastegate setup.

True, and this is a water jet application engine, designed to work best at high revs, similar to generator and static engines. I can get it re-mapped to stern drive spec giving a much wider torque band like an automotive engine. I would also have to re-rig the front belts to remove the raw water pump, remove the cooler, remove the charge cooler and replace the exhaust manifold....