300Tdi Defender fuel line

Hey all,

Can anyone tell me the ID of the stock LR Defender 110 300Tdi fuel line. I think it may be 5/16 but not sure. Im also thinking since it is so hard that if I pull it off the barb at the sedimenter that it wont seal when pushed back on.

cheers

Serg

thanks guys,

Red90, ive found that most metal tube is sized OD and flexable hoses ID. I take it becasue the nylon is hard it is OD?

Does it require a special barb end to seal on (ie. like the end that goes on to the sedimenter fitting) . LR have simply pushed it on with no hose clamp, and the ends look like a single barb, unlike the "pushfit" hoses by Aeroquip, Aeroflow etc that use a mulit barb for push on, no clamp.

Along the LR nylon tube, at some point, I have to cut it, run a fitting for the new line to attach to. New line and fitting should not be a problem, I just want to make sure the new fitting going into the LR nylon tube will seal and not give trouble.

It is "meant" to be used with tubing fittings on the outside. LR uses barbs on the inside sometimes. You need to heat the tubing to the point it becomes soft and push it on the fitting. It will then seal. It can't be done twice. The tubing is very low cost so cheap to replace.

I used the same stuff as JeffR on a Disco that was drawing air through cracks in the original pipes. Certainly can't fault it and if you use the clear stuff you can see if there is any air getting into the pipes.

I just used jubilee clips onto the original LR barbed unions.

It cost less than £20 to do the whole disco including return lines and I still have enough pipe left to do the 90 at some point.

thanks guys. I certainly can not knock it as it has never given trouble for its intended purpose. As far as feild service of modifying, it sucks.

JeffR, did you ever try external compression fittings?

When I could borrow a suitable tool (assuming you mean those thing with the "ears" that need something more than a pair of pinchers to squeeze), they worked. Sorry to say I'm very old school and like hose hose clips, they're removable and do what they say on the box.

Jeff, I mean like plumbers fittings, that when done up with a wrench compress on the tube. Usually you slip on a hollow nut, then a "olive" then the fitting. DO the nut up on the fitting and it seals againt the olive and the olive beds into the tube.

Jeff, I mean like plumbers fittings, that when done up with a wrench compress on the tube. Usually you slip on a hollow nut, then a "olive" then the fitting. DO the nut up on the fitting and it seals againt the olive and the olive beds into the tube.

Got what you mean now, was having a blonde moment! Nope never did try those , perhaps I should have!