Defender Outside Thermometer - An Easy Install

I've not long had my defender, but when starting it from cold, it's a nightmare trying to see out of the front windscreen and side windows, no sooner have I wiped the glass with a squeegee, they fog up again in about 20 seconds.

Any ideas lads?

You could always try one of those anti fog products you apply to the screen? On that note I remember reading a little tip - you apply washing up liquid to a cloth and let it dry. You then rub your screen with it and apparently it prevents it fogging up.

I've never tried it though...

Fantastic idea! I always fancied a big mechanical pointer on the bonnet to show which direction the wheels were pointing - but a giant thermometer is even more useful!

Si

I thought that you were working on X-Cam to show which way the wheels were pointing?!! :moglite:

I made the equivalent when I had rear steer, using a RRC suspension height sensor tied to the steering connected to a centre zero ammeter on the dash. Connect a variable resistor in parallel with the ends of the sensor resistor and the meter between the two wipers (forming what is known as a bridge configuration) When the wiper on both the sensor and variable resistor are at the same (proportional) resistance, no current flows through the meter. When either one moves off centre, the meter shows a + or - reading. You use the VR to set the zero position and I calibrated it (using a shunt across the meter) so the steering moved the meter from -100 to +100. It was very neat - and worked very well!

EE-Meter-12.gif

Regards,

Si

I made the equivalent when I had rear steer, using a RRC suspension height sensor tied to the steering connected to a centre zero ammeter on the dash. Connect a variable resistor in parallel with the ends of the sensor resistor and the meter between the two wipers (forming what is known as a bridge configuration) When the wiper on both the sensor and variable resistor are at the same (proportional) resistance, no current flows through the meter. When either one moves off centre, the meter shows a + or - reading. You use the VR to set the zero position and I calibrated it (using a shunt across the meter) so the steering moved the meter from -100 to +100. It was very neat - and worked very well!

EE-Meter-12.gif

Regards,

Si

That is a wonderfully simple and elegant approach to knowing the direction the vehicle is going.