RR 4 EVR!

Shackleton

If you don't want to see a fellow get smooshy over a vehicle, look away in disgust now.

I've been driving a '01 D2 Td5 Auto for the past 4 months while I restore my '73 2 Door Range Rover. Except it turned into 4 months teething a D2. All the while though I was falling in love with it. It's quiet and smooth and it's got climate control and cruise, it's also got a 150L fuel capacity (long range tanks) and a 2" OME lift.

I was supposed to start on the RR months ago. It's been sitting on three wheels and an axle stand for more than a year, sans a swivel/hub/wheel or differential on the O/S front. Today I bolted the back up the swivel and threw the hub on without the half shafts or diff, banged the wheel on and threw in the battery from the D2 and checked the fluids. Up she flew after barely three revolutions, no smoke, no fuss.

I maneuvered it around the drive for two minutes to reposition it for the real resto start which is close now.

...and I just want to say, in rough order, with no front diff and after only 2 minutes on the drive... it kicks the f&*ing pants off the D2 which is nigh on 30 years younger.

:wub:

I Hear that :)

My 1972 might be minus the body, be 14" shorter and had many major bits changed, but it still says R on the pedals and steering wheel.

Just press the starter to grin ^_^

S1 88" is the same. Every trip is an adventure :i-m_so_happy:When you arrive somewhere, you've achieved something.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah my buddies all thought it was great when I came home with this shiny metallic Disco. They're starting to look at me funny when I insist I'm going straight back to the RR once it's done.

I don't know what it is about Range Rovers but I totally agree and completely get it. I have a D2 as well as the P38 and a Classic. The Disco is good as a hack but I simply adore the Rangies. They bring a smile to my face just starting the engine. I too am looking forward to starting the Restoration of my beloved CSK.

I'm with you, too. My problem is cost - trying to keep the 109 and the 90 in good order at the same time as a ground-up restoration of the RRC. I have the bulk of the engine done, with just the injection pump to go. The RRC is still one of the classiest looking vehicles in the world. That it is also one of the best to drive both on and off road is remarkable.