r380 lost 5th

Hi All,

Stopped at a junction in my ex MOD 110 2.5na with r380 gearbox and it went really stiff trying to get 1st. Finally got it in pulled off then moving up the gears realised there was no 5th.

Pulled into a car park. Gears still really stiff still no 5th - reverse there OK though. Put it in low range and 5th was there.

Never had any prob with the gearbox before and never really played with a gearbox so asking for any ideas.

I have searched around and it doesn't sound like the layshaft has snapped as I have reverse.

Read about how you can get to the gear box from inside the cab but not sure what to look for.

Ashcroft seem the answer to all prayers but it will cost the best part if 1k to swapped it out with fitting but this was going to be a 100% diy project :)

Any advice or pointers are appreciated as always.

Thanks

taffia

Hi,

Diff was unlocked just driving on normal road. Didn't think it could be the clutch. Will have a read up as I thought it just worked on all gears or didn't.

I read somewhere you can take the plate off from inside around the gear stick and boot and look in from inside.

Mmmmm sounds like a crash course in transmission coming...... Or call to Ashcroft :)

Thanks

Taffia

The odd design thing about the R380 is that it uses one selector shaft to select all six gears -5 forward and one reverse, having just rebuilt one I can tell you if you are unable to select 5th then its a selector problem, the reverse and 5th gear are both housed in the alloy "5th gear extension" just forward of the transfer box.

If you are able to select reverse and not 5th then its a problem with the selector, to rectify this you will need to drop the box.