Won't idle properly anymore

Chicken Drumstick

Wondering if anyone has an idea what I should look at or change.

It's a 2.25 petrol with a Weber 341CH carb. It was running fine on the road and went to an RTV on Sunday with it. It was running really sweet. Went out yesterday in it. Was still running fine. When I got home it will no longer run with the choke in. It just stalls as though you've hit a kill switch.

If you pull the choke out it'll tickover but on a very fast tickover. If you move the choke in you can lose a few rpm but when you drive it, it'll stall as you dip the clutch for a round about.

Nothing has been changed or adjusted it just went from fine to not in less than an hour. It still drives well choke in or out (pulled 65mph on the speedo on 7.50's and that wasn't even flat out). It just won't run/tickover with the choke in.

The carb is fairly new. Been on the car 2 or so years and has probably only done 1000 miles tops.

A bit more info. It's already had new ignition components. And I'm pretty sure this is fuelling related not electrical.

Only other things that have happened are. On Friday the MoT place fiddled with the carb to get it through emissions. But as said it's been used for an RTV since then and used maybe 3/4 tank of fuel in total and was fine.

It did run low on the petrol gauge and then was filled with Tesco 95 (had been on Shell the tank before). But it still ran fine for a 10-15 drive home. It was the time after this that it started acting up.

It still starts easy hot or cold and the throttle is good and it revs. It just won't tickover at anything sensible or without choke??

I'm voting for dirt, as chucking the vehicle about off road frees off particles that get sucked into the carbs special places.

I've had it happen to my SU, but with huge jets it could only hold the float valve open. I guess it was stuff that settled in the lines waiting for a steep climb.

Sounds like an air leak to me.. I had so many problems with my S2a all of which were similar to yours, and my carb had just come loose from the manifold and was letting air past. Check for air leaks after the carb, spray some WD40 and see if it revs up.

Josh