Would you replace this radiator?

Turbocharger

This isn't a fatuous reply but dialogue with a serious question:

I'd need to overhang the viscous fan by 4" to get it near the rad, and I'd worry about the bearing loads. A cowl would be the better option but there's still a gap between the gearbox cooler and the rad.

Am I better with a fairly proven electric fan from a good brand, or a borderline experimental extended engine-driven fan which could fail and take the serpentine with it?

I could fit two electric fans, a pusher and a puller... :)

I would extend the cowl, if the height is right, and dont touch the fan. I did an extension on the 300tdi cowl, on a different height fan position, and made up the difference using an inner tube. Check my buildthread.

Daan

Mind you...

Max temp in the hot bits of Morocco in May is going to be less than 30 on a good day. You don't drive like a fool (anymore) and have some vehicle sympathy. You've got a new rad. Airflow is fair to reasonable. It's a 300 rather than 200 but you could run 50% with a water wetter and bungy the bonnet on a block if it got bad...

Maybe just take a spare leccy fan

Southern France is nice... Did you ever get to the Camargue? A lot of daft folk feel that Overlanding is about tough off roading in far flung primitive places, having covered your vehicle in loads of useless bolt on overpriced tat - in reality it's about having a good look around to see what's about....

Electric puller and a pusher work okay.

I'd run the engine fan, and have returned to the engine fan on the landy and never took the one off the van. In the winter I chuck a bag in front of half the rad. But the race truck has one electric fan pulling air all the while and two pushing air on a thermostat switch. It's worked fine for comps, trials and winch challenges for many a year, but it works the alternator a fair bit harder.

I'd go ducting rather than an extended fan drive too :)

Stacking coolers is something I avoid, because the air can just go around them. If the air is road forced air all is good, (better), but for static plant you have to be a bit more sturdy. So my gearbox cooler has it's own small fan so it still cools well when stuck.

a 4" extension is not going to be kind to the engine at all. It should be fairly easy to extend the fan cowl by 4" though. Pop in to your local sheet metal workers and ask them for a strip of steel no more than 1mm thick, you have no problems rolling that to fit.