LT230 or Borg Warner ? Pros and cons ?

smallfry

Yes the BW unit is quite interesting, we had some experience with it this summer. In the video linked below, jump to 27 min. and pay close attention to the wheels on the black Rangie, as he crawls and one front wheel breaks traction, the rear wheels stop pushing it forward, then he gives it a small dab with the throttle and the rear wheels pull him along until he lets go of the throttle again. I noticed this and told him to try again and then lock the front diff, thus not allowing one wheel to spin freely, just as predicted the rear wheels gained some power and pulled along without using the throttle. This second attempt is also in the video right after the ninety that goes up the climb after him. Worth watching if you wan't to get an idea how the BW works

The BW works well, but is prone to chain stretch and the VC locking up. I had chain stretch on my 300TDi RRC, and didn't bother with a new BW, just fitted an LT230. I noticed the road manners changed quite a bit, especially in the snow, but you get used to it. I think an LT230 with ATB would be the best of both worlds, but the Classic isn't driving at the moment, so no use spending money on that and finding out.

Other than the output being on the other side and the high/low mechanism being operated by an electric motor, the P38 BW is identical to the RRC one.

Not sure how much longer mine will last in the P38, but definitely researching options to adapt an LT230 (I think it's possible to turn it around and drive it through the PTO hole).

I don't think heat dissipation will be an issue unless you're doing something like comp safari or towing a maximum load up a mountain. Like I said, mine is good after 200,000 miles with nothing more than oil changes. The vehicle has a small amount of backlash, but nit much, and that may be the BW shaft splines, but it's probably due to a combination of small, acceptable wear throughout the entire transmission. The chain and VC units still seem fine. I have been told that the chains suffer much more behind the V8s, and I'd imagine that the VC units suffer more driven hard off road or doing a lot of town driving (tight cornering), the latter being what mine tended to do with the twice-daily school run.

We had a diesel p38 that was used for towing a boat, around 5ton, both motorway etc but lots of manoeuvring around hilly site in low ratio, slipway use etc, and it started to bang which was slippage.

Had the unit rebuilt and the chap said he had only ever done police p38s which had buggered the chain from towing hgvs off the motorway etc.

Just so you know :P

To add to the debate.

Had one in a 1990 RRC and eventually got chain slip under extreme load. Was fab till then in a trial vehicle in UK. Would have another in UK.

Now have lockable lt230 in disco 2 with traction control. No way would I want a BW in Oz. Not in WA.

LT 230 for me.