Land Rover Defender Starting Problem

Land Rover Defender Starting Problem

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I recently bought a 2004 Land Rover Defender 110 TD5 and I'm having problems starting it in the morning. It's done 120,000 miles.

If I turn on the ignition, wait for the glow plug light to go out and try to start it, it does not fire.

When I turn on the ignition I can hear what sounds like a pump running, coming from the rear of the vehicle, possibly the fuel pump? The pump runs for 30 seconds then stops. If I try to start the engine it does not fire. However, if I turn the ignition off and then on again and wait until the pump stops and do this several times then the engine fires and runs normally. The vehicle drives ok and will restart normally when warmed up.

I would be very grateful for any advice on what may be causing this problem.

Also, I am living in the Staines / Egham area in Surrey and would be grateful for any recommendations for Land Rover mechanics, either garages or individual enthusiasts who are willing to undertake repairs and servicing.

Regards to you all

Malcolm

what does it do when it doesn't start? just cranks a lot?

it kind of sounds like its not getting enough fuel to start so might me worth trying the cheap option first of a new fuel filter and check there is actually fuel in the tank (the gauge might be lying to you, mine stops at the halfway mark haha)

When was the fuel-filter last changed?

Does the noise of the pump sound at all like swooshing or gurgling? Your description of needing several goes to start it sounds like you may have 'trapped wind' in the fuel-system and your failed attempts at starting are doing the same as the throttle-pumping-and-leaving-ignition-on-for-5-minutes-before-staring fuel system purge procedure.

Most likely cause of trapped wind is the copper washers on the injectors going soft - it happened on my TD5 at about 80,000 miles.

Don't bother waiting for the glow plugs on a Td5 unless it's -10 outside, they will fire instantly first turn when working properly even if it's been sat for ages.

Change the filter first and purge the system. If you still have the problem then do the injector seals.

How much fuel is in the tank? I've known a failing fuel pump to cause the same problem unless the tank was over half full.

sounds like air in the fuel lines (or some hole that allows fuel to return to the tank and leave a air filled fuel line).

Most likely an incorrect connected fuel filter. So a change of fuel filter is likely welcome :) cheap and easy to do.