Feedback through the brakes

Nigelw

Some may know about the project truck I have had at my place for some weld repairs, well, all done now and looks good and at least it is safe to be on the road now.

I thought I'd take it for a drive and get it up to temp and give it a blast to blow the cobwebs out after standing idle at my place for a couple months now.

I put my foot on the brakes, they were a bit rubbish but figured they'd be a bit rusted so a few hard stamps to clean the discs up and I had the most horrific feed back through the pedal, like it was surging back pressure or something.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what it might be?

Sounds like you may have a warped disc or two somewhere... jack the wheels up and give them a spin and check for irregularities, heavily corroded discs also give a really lumpy feel, you could try chipping the rust off them if its thick, I've managed to save a few discs doing that, but to be honest for the price of a set of discs its often cheaper to just change them out...

Feedback through the brake pedal is generally caused by movement of the disc relative to the caliper (assuming its not an ABS issue).

Generally as others have said it is due to a warped disc or a disc installed badly with dirt under it causing it to run out. Best bet is to remove each wheel in turn and turn the hub watching for movement of the disc relaitive to the caliper or tight spots as it turns, its not always easy to see if the disc's have a large lip or rusty edge but if it is causing heavy feed back is likely to be quite obvious, if the disc is fitted badly refit it with a bit more care to get it flat and true, if it is warped it is possible to get it skimmed but with the cost of a new disc not worth it, just fit a new pair.

Another possible cause is play in the wheel bearings, as the hub wobbles it can cause the disc to be pushed side to side, this can also cause occasional long travel on the brake pedal as the pads are pushed back and some of the brake pedal travel will just end up pushing them back where they should be, depending on where and how you have driven this might not happen every time so can be an odd thing to try and work out. Whilst you are going about checking the disc give each wheel bearing a check as well. If you have fitted new wheel bearings anywhere thats a good place to start as it only takes a small amount of carp in the wrong place and they will feel fine when you make them up but the heavier loads whilst driving might cause things to reseat an gnerate a bit of play.

Good luck on trackng it down!.

Investigating over.

Badly corroded discs, will suggest new set of front and back with new pads to the owner, I really have not the time to do them so will be passing up on putting new ones on it.

Thanks for your replies.