anyone know the lt230 intimately??

I acquired a disco t box to go on my v8 90, I am just cleaning it up, and noticed a dollop of some sort of epoxy type gunge on the plate on the side of the centre diff, any particular reason??... obviously don't wanna fit it then find its terminally busted, hi and low engage, as does difflock.....

Ta in advance!

What they said, that sounds very wrong to me. I've just bought a 127 ambulance (big barge) and that will go up hills in 5th. It's supposedly got the 1.192:1 ratio LT230 and only a carbed V8 that's rather clearly in need of a tune up.

Its a bit tired yes, but would go well enough in 4th, just wouldn't maintain 70 in fifth, it lacks the torque of the diesels.....

A 3.5 stock engine has the same maximum torque as a stock TDI, around 190 lb-ft. A 3.9 has 235 lb-ft or more. And they should hold the torque to a higher rpm level.

My 90 has seen a few transmission changes in my ownership. When I bought it, it was running 7.50R16s and its original 1.22 t/box with the 3.5 carb lump up front. It pulled well in 5th, even seeing illegal speeds beginning with a 9 :o

Later I added a 3.9 Efi, still with manual. Later still in went a 4 speed auto, and that made things horrible, with the gear shifts in all the wrong places (running 265/75R16 at the point). Motorway hills were a struggle, as it always needed to drop out of T/C lock up and into 3rd.

The happy solution was found by fitting a 1.4:1 t/box, it's now a joy to drive, even with taller 255/86R16 tyres.

Using the ratio calculator Fridge referred to above my setup has pretty much restored final drive ratio to how LR supplied it.

Many owners of 50th anniversary 90s (4.0 auto + 265 tyres) have done the same transfer ratio change, as the vehicle is a tad sluggish with it's factory fitted 1.22:1 box. Alledgedly LR fitted this ratio for reasons of economy :lol: