200TDI Wiring Issue

I'm in the process of reconnecting a late-model Defender 200TDI loom and have some odd behaviour that probably has an obvious cause that I'm not aware of. I'm sure once I run the whole loom again I'll find the cause but if someone can point me to it if it really is obvious it'll save a lot of time.

Enough of the wiring is connected to start, stop, signals, headlights, heater fan etc. The issue is that when the positive terminal is put on there is a lot more current being pulled than there should be, a LOT more. Almost like a short but I haven't been able to find a cause yet and it happens even before the ignition is turned on, etc. There is one thick brown wire 'extra' that I don't think was on my loom that seems to go up the left wing either 12 or 10AWG and with a ring terminal, I'm guessing it goes to the alternator but this is one thing where the diagrams aren't always that helpful. Not sure if that being off is part of the cause.

It's almost like a starter seized on or similar for the kind of current draw it seems to spark when the terminal is connected up. It's been a while since doing a LR stock harness, the last two were ISIS and a Painless and so far the Painless is by far my preference.

Any direction to look would be great, if it is a short I'd have expected something to burn or a fuse to go etc but no sign of that.

Glow plug realy stuck??

I saw this recently on a forum members 300tdi. The owner changed the battery and the alternator before the cause of repeated flat batteries was found.

The AA suggested the new battery was 'not suitable' for the alternator, being an AGM type :rofl:

is this thick brown wire a plain single colour brown or does it have a white trace colour on it either as a straight line or a spiral line if the latter it's the 12v feed for the glowplug timer relay, try a good known timer relay as well.

Thick brown with ring terminal, also has black plastic protector running down the last foot and a half or so. Looks like alternator. I know the weirdness isn't the glow plug timer because there currently isn't one plugged in.

Also; the wire doesn't seem hot, I checked and there is another wire that looks more or less the same but much heavier (8awg probably) connected to the hot terminal on the alternator already. My 110 doesn't have this other wire.

on my defender spec 200tdi the engine loom runs from bulkhead connections along the injector side of engine, then between cylinder head & thermostat housing to alternator & starter solenoid, reckon that wires should be on your starter solenoid terminal. it certainly looks to be long enough.

OK, that makes some sense... but can you say why? It isn't hot on the other end so it does go somewhere hot for sure, but what is is supposed to be delivering power to? So far everything seems to work which is why I'm a bit confused.

Do you have a hand held IR thermometer? if you don't then buy one and you'll wonder how on earth you ever managed without it. You can get a good one for a £100 but a Fleabay one for £20 will do the job just as well. Connect everything up then just look for the warmer wire or fuse.They're invaluable in tracing electrical faults, even before they occur.

Cheers, Paul

OK, that makes some sense... but can you say why? It isn't hot on the other end so it does go somewhere hot for sure, but what is is supposed to be delivering power to? So far everything seems to work which is why I'm a bit confused.

keeps most of the loom clear of turbo & exhaust, that's how LR designed/built it.