Gearbox mainshaft nut special tool

sean f

A friend found his S3 gearbox became noiser after fitting an overdrive so wanted to ensure the special nut on the end of the mainshaft was torqued up correctly and asked me to make him a tool to do it, the result was this.

post-3384-0-88144400-1403616989_thumb.jpg

I made it by turnng down a piece of steel and then milling out the teeth to give this.

post-3384-0-73713000-1403617043_thumb.jpg

Before boring out the centre of a large nut and welding it to the back and finally electro plating the lot.

Whilst I was doing one I decided to do a few and sold them on Ebay.

When he came to actually use the tool he decided the easiest way to use it was to weld an socket to the end rather than use a big socket as I had envisioned whilst making it. He also reported that once the nut was torqued up correctly the gearbox quitened down to what it had been before, success!.

With this in mind I have now moved onto the mark two tool

post-3384-0-63460800-1403617252_thumb.jpg

Made longer and then bored to fit a socket welded in the back to make it 1/2" drive.

I have sold all the extras I made on Ebay but still have a couple of the early milled steel sections left.

post-3384-0-73713000-1403617043_thumb.jpg

This part.

If any one wants one let me know, I will sell them on here for £4 each plus £2.80 postage (royal mail second class, collection is no problem) with £1 going to the forum. They will need a deep socket welding to the back to be able to use them this is just the part that engages the nut.

I will be putting the mark two tools on Ebay soon but haven't decided on a price yet, probable about £18 there will be a forum discount if any one contacts me direct, postage is likely to be higher though as they are quite weighty.

I know there is a company which makes these commercially and quite honestly what they make is a excellent piece of design and CNC machining, but comes at a cost, I was trying to make something cheap enough for some one not likely to use it to often to justify buying.

post-3384-0-17825400-1403617237_thumb.jpg

What are the dimensions please? I.D, O.D and tooth size if its not too much trouble

Am rebuilding a gearbox at the minute and think I might as well make up the tool to torque it rather than use a punch and a hammer

Nice looking work there.

I once borrowed one a former colleague made. It must have been 4-5" long, enough to reach outside of the transfer case. He'd broached a 3/8" Sq in the back - think we had such a tool in the stores ;)

What are the dimensions please? I.D, O.D and tooth size if its not too much trouble

Am rebuilding a gearbox at the minute and think I might as well make up the tool to torque it rather than use a punch and a hammer

I applaud the desire to set the nut with the correct torque, but am puzzled by your request.

You have got the nut, which gives you the dimensions, simply cut the tool from whatever you have to hand, be it an old socket or a scrap end of tube. When I made mine I didn't have a gearbox in pieces, so I bought a nut to ensure the tool fitted.

HTH

I applaud the desire to set the nut with the correct torque, but am puzzled by your request.

You have got the nut, which gives you the dimensions, simply cut the tool from whatever you have to hand, be it an old socket or a scrap end of tube. When I made mine I didn't have a gearbox in pieces, so I bought a nut to ensure the tool fitted.

HTH

HTH

No I havent got the nut, its missing off the gearbox I'm doing :D If I had it, then yes I'd do the sensible thing and measure it with my calliper :)

No I haven't got the nut, its missing off the gearbox I'm doing :D If I had it, then yes I'd do the sensible thing and measure it with my calliper :)

As you might need them all for 'Fixing gear to mainshaft'

Lockwasher 1 217476 Paddocks

Shim washer 1 501501 Craddocks

Special nut 1 217477 Paddocks

Craddocks do stock all three parts, but at a significant cost disadvantage.

Fortunately for me, Paddock Spares is my local supplier.

HTH

As you might need them all for 'Fixing gear to mainshaft'

Lockwasher 1 217476 Paddocks

Shim washer 1 501501 Craddocks

Special nut 1 217477 Paddocks

Craddocks do stock all three parts, but at a significant cost disadvantage.

Fortunately for me, Paddock Spares is my local supplier.

HTH

I would just look at the nut off my old box which is still in the series but its got the overdrive on it at the minute so i cant easily check the measurements without a lot of faffing around. Ta for the part numbers, I use paddocks for a lot of stuff rather than craddocks (unless they have something paddocks dont) always found them too be cheaper and customer service is good too

Nice looking work there.

I once borrowed one a former colleague made. It must have been 4-5" long, enough to reach outside of the transfer case. He'd broached a 3/8" Sq in the back - think we had such a tool in the stores ;)

If I had a suitable broach and the press to use it that would be the ideal, unfortunately I don't and am running out of room to add more toys to the garage!, other wise I might be tempted.

Dimmensions are:

I/D for the toothed section 35.6mm, O/D doesn't really matter, I leave it big to add a bit more meat to the teeth.

I/D further in 24.5mm again not to critical provided it is big enough to go over the shaft.

Teeth are 8 evenly spaced 7mm wide, after I mill them it sometimes takes a little bit of fettling with a file to get a good fit, better to make them slightly large and file to size than have them to small. I made them with all 8 teeth present but it would be easier to just have 4 as this would be simpler to set up on the mill, 8 just gives a bit more security and spreads the load.

I make the teeth 7.5mm deep which is a bit more than needed but works well as it is 3 turns of the elevation handle on my mill, so nice and simple to get regular.

• 2 years later...