Which V8?

Gazzar

Yes, carry a laptop, it's just a tool, and just as you would with a carb, carry a few key components.

Your reaction is still fear that it will all go horrifically wrong all the time, which just isn't true :)

I've read this topic with great interest. I have a few comments to chip in with:

Last year I replaced the V8 in my Stage One with a 3.9 serpentine motor out of a Discovery. One thing no one has mentioned is that the front end of the later motor sits the water pump and fan lower, which fouls the chassis on a Stage One at least and almost certainly would on another series vehicle. The solution for me was simply to swap the fancy front end for the older one, a completely straightforward swap. So I lost the later type oil pump and viscous fan, no big deal. I used the older alternator so a Vbelt was fine. It could be that a motor out of a later Range Rover doesn't have this problem but do check!

When I did the swap, I chose to ditch the entire injected fuel system and keep the carbs (possibly to the horror of some who have posted above but, again, a totally straightforward swap). I had three reasons for this. The main one was not wanting to have issues at warrant of fitness checks - if the engine looks original, no one is going to question its horsepower etc. Beyond that, the thought of hooking everything into the existing loom and finding a place for it all was too daunting. Finally, my experiences of running an injected Range Rover made me uneasy (see below).

If you open my bonnet, the motor look very original. However, the difference between the 3.5 and 3.9 is very noticeable. The old 3.5 was lovely but the 3.9 pulls the higher gearing (33" tyres and Range Rover transfer gears) with consummate ease and is very willing. The perfect motor, really! It obviously hasn't given me the hassles some would expect. Then again, I don't rev the pants off it and actually have the throttle slightly restricted as I believe, wide open, the main jet may be too lean, so I don't go there. Despite that, I am sure I could wind the speedo needle off the clock if I wanted to...

I once drove around 20,000 miles all over Australia in a carburretted Range Rover. When I got back to New Zealand, I bought a later fuel-injected one. The injected one was slightly gruntier and proved to be ten percent more economical. However, an irritating problem that professionals struggled to fix sucked up all the fuel savings and more. Yes, I'd have another injected vehicle but it would have to be much newer than a 1987. I think it took some time before fuel injection problems became as easy to diagnose as people say now.

So, in summary, check the serpentine motor will actually fit (the bell housing, exhaust, mounts etc were fine, just the fan height was an issue for me) and don't go for an early injection system. Once fitted, don't rev the motor like you're a schoolboy (there's no need) and it should last well.

Yes, carry a laptop, it's just a tool, and just as you would with a carb, carry a few key components.

Your reaction is still fear that it will all go horrifically wrong all the time, which just isn't true :)

Firstly: Please do not assume why I have an opinion.It's not about when it could and may never go wrong, it's where it could go wrong. Both our daily drivers are EFI and I would not have it any other way. In Africa there is dirty fuel, very remote areas where you could see nobody for days, and no cellphone reception. Even with a laptop and all the diagnostics available, knowing what spare is required will help you squat. Based on what you are choosing to use your vehicle for, I believe each has its merits. In a overlander being used in remote and inhospitable places give me a carburettor please. For all else give me EFI.

• 4 months later...

I've read this topic with great interest. I have a few comments to chip in with:

Last year I replaced the V8 in my Stage One with a 3.9 serpentine motor out of a Discovery. One thing no one has mentioned is that the front end of the later motor sits the water pump and fan lower, which fouls the chassis on a Stage One at least and almost certainly would on another series vehicle. The solution for me was simply to swap the fancy front end for the older one, a completely straightforward swap. So I lost the later type oil pump and viscous fan, no big deal. I used the older alternator so a Vbelt was fine. It could be that a motor out of a later Range Rover doesn't have this problem but do check!

When I did the swap, I chose to ditch the entire injected fuel system and keep the carbs (possibly to the horror of some who have posted above but, again, a totally straightforward swap). I had three reasons for this. The main one was not wanting to have issues at warrant of fitness checks - if the engine looks original, no one is going to question its horsepower etc. Beyond that, the thought of hooking everything into the existing loom and finding a place for it all was too daunting. Finally, my experiences of running an injected Range Rover made me uneasy (see below).

If you open my bonnet, the motor look very original. However, the difference between the 3.5 and 3.9 is very noticeable. The old 3.5 was lovely but the 3.9 pulls the higher gearing (33" tyres and Range Rover transfer gears) with consummate ease and is very willing. The perfect motor, really! It obviously hasn't given me the hassles some would expect. Then again, I don't rev the pants off it and actually have the throttle slightly restricted as I believe, wide open, the main jet may be too lean, so I don't go there. Despite that, I am sure I could wind the speedo needle off the clock if I wanted to...

I once drove around 20,000 miles all over Australia in a carburretted Range Rover. When I got back to New Zealand, I bought a later fuel-injected one. The injected one was slightly gruntier and proved to be ten percent more economical. However, an irritating problem that professionals struggled to fix sucked up all the fuel savings and more. Yes, I'd have another injected vehicle but it would have to be much newer than a 1987. I think it took some time before fuel injection problems became as easy to diagnose as people say now.

So, in summary, check the serpentine motor will actually fit (the bell housing, exhaust, mounts etc were fine, just the fan height was an issue for me) and don't go for an early injection system. Once fitted, don't rev the motor like you're a schoolboy (there's no need) and it should last well.

Thanks for this deep,

I have been thinking about doing exactly this, i.e replacing a v-belt carb 3.5 with a serpentine Discovery 3.9, while retaining the carby and v-belt front end.

Good to know that it can be done.

It means no Low Volume Vehicle Certificate nonsense will have to be contemplated, which I think may be required in NZ when the fuel system is changed from carb to injection.

The capacity increase probably falls beneath the LVVC threshold anyway, and who is going to know when it all looks the same? So WoF's won't be a problem

Thanks for this deep,

I have been thinking about doing exactly this, i.e replacing a v-belt carb 3.5 with a serpentine Discovery 3.9, while retaining the carby and v-belt front end.

Good to know that it can be done.

It means no Low Volume Vehicle Certificate nonsense will have to be contemplated, which I think may be required in NZ when the fuel system is changed from carb to injection.

The capacity increase probably falls beneath the LVVC threshold anyway, and who is going to know when it all looks the same? So WoF's won't be a problem

Go for it! I've read that you may need a spacer behind the nut that holds the front pulley to the crankshaft but that wasn't my experience. I got two or three w.o.f.s with the 3.9 and the garage just didn't notice the motor change, other than saying "it goes well". Incidentally, I sold all my unwanted bits off for $500 (still have the starter, alternator, ECU and a few other bits too), so the cost of the swap was very little.

Sadly, I recently sold the Stage One, after seven happy years. The dream of a diesel 110 was too strong to resist, except I ended up with a basket case, ho hum.