Which CB Radio is the best one to get?

CJ1

After my Discovery has passed its MOT I will be getting a CD Radio, I would like one that is not going to fall apart fast, and got a budget of about £30, I have looked through Ebay and have come across a lot of Midland CD radios in budget.

I know this is purely everyones opinions and won't take what is said as gospel but I am a newby when it comes to CD Radio's.

My other half is buying me one as an anniversary present lol. We always buy something useful for each other for our wedding anniversary.

I look forward to your replies. And thank you for your help in advance.

• Like 1

Are you after a CB or CD radio as you mix between the two in your post/title? If it's a CB radio then I would use a President Teddy available for around £50 at the lower end of the CB market we have one and it works very well and the automatic squelch control is a good feature!

Regards

My other half has just surprised me with this CB Radio. Hope it's a good one. What a great anniversary present :)

post-41802-0-03312400-1407355069_thumb.jpg

post-41802-0-00445200-1407355074_thumb.jpg

I don't know much about CB Radio's so I am continuing this thread in hopes that everyone who knows everything I don't will help and hopefully this will help people in the future.

Now I have a working CB Radio, what is the best aerial to get?

Cheers

I would go for a simple, inexpensive antenna such as:

http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/medium-cb-antennas/thunderpole-mini-orbitor.html

or

http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/large-cb-antennas/thunderpole-orbitor.html

The latter being a longer version of the former. The longer one will give you a little more range - but since our use is generally close quarters, there is little advantage in going big / expensive.

You will need a mount and cable too:

http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/cb-antenna-mounts.html

When you assemble it, cover all the plugs and sockets on the outside of the vehicle with thick grease to help prevent water ingress. If you use a body mount, make sure there is a good connection to the bodywork!!! Scrape some of the paint off on the inside and again cover it in grease.

I would fill the interior of the plug that screws in to the radio too as they are also a trap for condensation leading to corrosion. If you can, run the power connections directly to the battery (via the built in fuse). These things will give you the best range and longevity out of the radio.

Remember that mag-mounts will not work on a Defender as the body is Aluminium! Sounds obvious - but I've seen lots of people fall for it! I see your Avatar is a Disco - so you can ignore this! I use a mag-mount on my RR which is convenient for car washes.

Si

After talking to loads of people across the world and looked at all there aerials, I found the one I would like. But no one seems to be able to tell me where it can be bought from. Do you know where I can buy this aerial from? Cheers

post-41802-0-06085400-1407369164_thumb.jpg

I would still go for a simple wire antenna as enclosed loading coils often suffer damage from hitting trees etc or water ingress. I love antennas (I'm a Radio Amateur) but have learned the hard way that the simple antennas last the best. The shiny antenna pictured will probably work better initially - but not long term.

You can buy the wing nut type base adaptors here:

http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/mounting-accessories.html

So you can adapt any antenna to mount this way. Then use any standard through body mount.

They also sell what's known as an 'easy-over' (a play on words?). My Amateur antenna has one built in. It's very easy to fold flat by forcing it - but if it hits a tree etc, it will just bend at the joint and fold flat by itself. You just lift it up and it re-locks vertically.

Most of these antennas are pre-tuned to give a reasonable SWR figure. If you add a base adaptor, you need to cut the same length off the end of the antenna. So, if your adaptor increases the height of your antenna by 50mm, cut 50mm off the end of the wire.

Si

After talking to loads of people across the world and looked at all there aerials, I found the one I would like. But no one seems to be able to tell me where it can be bought from. Do you know where I can buy this aerial from? Cheers

attachicon.gif10600406_714647618570495_3655659128870130593_n.jpg

That style was (and still is) made by the Italian "Sirio" company.

See http://www.sirioantenne.it/docs_download.php?file=Id-417_10-01-2014.pdf

Their stuff's not cheap but it does work - I use a lot of their spring-loaded VHF antennas

http://www.sirioantenne.it/docs_download.php?file=Id-226_25-05-2006.pdf

which seem pretty much indestructible.

My preferred supplier is "Knights CB" - they can order in almost anything from the Sirio product-line if asked.

I have now nearly got everything for the CB install. My other half has bought me the SWR meter, CB Radio and I decided on a different aerial which is the 1.55 meter up to 10 mile range aerial in black. I have bought a short patch lead to connect the swr meter but need to buy a base and I need to buy the long aerial lead but not sure what length to buy.

• 3 weeks later...

I have one last question to ask about CB radio's then I should be ok lol. On the back of the radio there is a switch which has 2 options, Hi or Lo. What setting should I put it on? Cheers