Heat insulation - engine bay

Guest wunntenn

Guest wunntenn

I've got an Eberspacher fitted in the engine bay, right side of engine (looking from front to rear). The heater unit was plumbed in when I had my old 2.5TD (19J) engine. There was a lack of places to put it so bolted a large steel strut off the front chassis up into the engine bay and mounted the Eber unit on that. Worked fine.

Now I have a 200tdi fitted the Eber unit has ended up slightly closer to the engine and manifold/turbo than I'm comfortable with, and would like to reduce the heat.

Two options, remove heater, unbolt metal strut and get it bent some more to move the heater further from the engine. That's a bit of a hassle and starts to interfere with other things though, as there's not a huge amount of space. It would help though.

Other option (or maybe used in combination with the above) is to put some insulating material around the side of the Eberspacher to prevent it getting so warm. Can anyone suggest any suitable material that might do the job?

Left-field suggestions are something from the local baking shop made from silicone that might wrap neatly around and be able to tie on with a wire or two - it only needs to be about 10inches square. So a baking mat might suffice.

Or is there any suitably insulating 'stuff' that is relatively cheaply available that would do the job?

Guest wunntenn

Thanks Mikey - you know I never thought of that. I knew there were tapes but a small blankety thing might be ideal. That's narrowed down the web search criteria!

Cheers.

Guest wunntenn

Thanks chaps. Agriemech have a vast range of stuff and I located and opted for a 12" square self-adhesive foil-fronted glassfibre mat (reflectacool) that I can stick around the heater unit and the high temp glue should ensure it wont wander. What they say:

"It will reflect up to about 1500°F and protects against a continuous temperature of 600°F. This offers excellent protection where a mechanical fastener cannot be used, e.g. on a firewall, in the tub of a racing car. It can easily be cut to fit, has an excellent adhesive quality."

The alternative was to wrap the turbo/manifold and exhaust downpipe whch was going to be a lot more expensive, so this is actually a lot cheaper at £15.