Which Rims??

Kebabhead

Hi all,

I see a few threads on this subject and thought you could probably help!

I have ordered a set of 4 BF Goodrich Mud terrain tyres (Size: 235/85/R16) for my 88' Series 3.

I have seen people say that these tyres will comfortably sit on LWB rims (??).

I have LWB rims on the landy at the moment with 7.50/16 tyres on them.

I have been offered a set of four wolf rims (6.5x16 i presume?) or i have the oppotunity to purchase a set of 7x16 8 spoke or modular rims.

I am wondering which rims are better for the new BFG tyres?!!

I really don't want to make any modifications to the landy or axles or anything!!

PLEASE HELP!!

Adam

Hi all,

I see a few threads on this subject and thought you could probably help!

I have ordered a set of 4 BF Goodrich Mud terrain tyres (Size: 235/85/R16) for my 88' Series 3.

I have seen people say that these tyres will comfortably sit on LWB rims (??).

I have LWB rims on the landy at the moment with 7.50/16 tyres on them.

I have been offered a set of four wolf rims (6.5x16 i presume?) or i have the oppotunity to purchase a set of 7x16 8 spoke or modular rims.

I am wondering which rims are better for the new BFG tyres?!!

I really don't want to make any modifications to the landy or axles or anything!!

PLEASE HELP!!

Adam

LWB rims are 5.5" wide, 235/85 should really be on a min 6" wide rim, people do fit them to lwb rims but there is the insurance issue... 7.50 are fine or lwb rims - LR factory fit, but 7.50 are narrower than 235/85.

Wolf or modular will be fine for 235/85 but the centre disc of the rim is thicker so you will need to change all the wheel studs to longer ones or ur nuts wont grip properly (ooh er)

LWB rims are 5.5" wide, 235/85 should really be on a min 6" wide rim, people do fit them to lwb rims but there is the insurance issue... 7.50 are fine or lwb rims - LR factory fit, but 7.50 are narrower than 235/85.

Wolf or modular will be fine for 235/85 but the centre disc of the rim is thicker so you will need to change all the wheel studs to longer ones or ur nuts wont grip properly (ooh er)

Thanks for letting me know!! More work for me then!! I don't suppose you have any idea where i can get longer studs and are they difficult to replace???

All the "usual" aftermarket suppliers do them, can get genuine as well. Someone will post the part #s...They are splined and a press fit into the hub. Can be pulled in using the wheel nuts. i'm sure someone will have some tips for removing the old ones..

yeah, about £5 a stud IIRC

Anyone running wolf rims on the shorter studs and had any problems?? (Maybe a daft question but worth an answer????)

They are cheap and good looking but really don't want to have to spend £100 on studs!! Might as well buy modulars!!