3.9i into defender....

Hi. I have an '86 90 with a range rover v8 at the moment, I just bought a 200 era discovery for the engine, current engine is on carbs, but the 3.9 runs so well on injection I might just leave it... electric s are a slight concern, but I can get over that...

What do people do with regards to a fuel pump, I understand that the discovery pump is a high pressure one??.... can I transplant the discovery pump into a 90 tank??.....

Any other assistance would be appreciated.....

Electrics is the easy bit, just 5 or so wires to connect, and has been covered on here many times :)

For a fuel pump, I think your best bet on a 90 is to take an early RRC EFI pump (flapper) and extend it to reach the bottom of the tank, and job done -it is what I run on my custom tank.

The one currently in the Disco is most likely the large flange type and won't fit your tank without a huge amount of work.

The guys are right. Your current in tank pump will be low pressure. The RR classic pump is a straight forward fit and LOOKS more or less identical EXCEPT that it will need extending slightly to reach the bottom of the Defender tank.

Its dead easy to do. IIRC even the electrical connector is the same. Its part number PRC8318

• 3 weeks later...

Not 100% certain but I have a 300tdi 90 auto, and that uses the standard 300tdi tunnel , i also have a BMW engined 110 that was originally a 3.5 then 3.9i with a LT85 , but when i went to BMW 3L tdi the Lt85 tunnel was OK with that , but then I went to r380 , and the seatbase front and tunnel had to be changed to 300tdi to clear , so on that basis the 300tdi tunnel etc would be the way to go HTSH