Chassis

hedley

Just a quick Q:

Who makes chassis' other than Richard Chassis and Marslands?

Im after a (pref galvy) series 1 107" pickup chassis for a little project

Or if anyone has/knows for a decent one, id be interested... mine has more holes than a seive and is far beond economic repairs, even for my plans!

thanks

Just a quick Q:

Who makes chassis' other than Richard Chassis and Marslands?

Im after a (pref galvy) series 1 107" pickup chassis for a little project

Or if anyone has/knows for a decent one, id be interested... mine has more holes than a seive and is far beond economic repairs, even for my plans!

thanks

The 107 chassis is about the only type that I have never seen advertised by the aftermarket chassis builders.

The 107 pick up is my favorite model styling wise, and due to their shape, the 107 chassis makes an ideal foundation for a compact 6x6 conversion.

Bill

you'd not thought of 6x6 yeah right, why that PM the other day then?

y not? it would be fun!

just as long as there isnt any rules about how many driven axles you are allowed in winch challenges...

does anyone know?

isnt any rules about how many driven axles you are allowed in winch challenges...

does anyone know?

People can be very petty if they think you have an advantage over them. You will find that they make a fuss about the fact that it mentions 4x4s in the event title or something. :(

Chris

As far as I can tell from forum hearsay and conjecture:

Richards are the most accurate (EG position of all the little holes and brackets etc.)

Designa are your boys for weird stuff or requests for random bits of chassis (I got my engine mounts from them for the V8 conversion)

Marsland aparrently supply Land Rover :huh: and have been around for years

People can be very petty if they think you have an advantage over them. You will find that they make a fuss about the fact that it mentions 4x4s in the event title or something. :(

Chris

6x6's unless the extra axle is positioned to prevent high centreing and the suspension designed with enormous axle articulation, are often not as allround capable as similarly equipped 4x4's.

Bill.

4x4 Pinz's are prone to falling over if anything remotely difficult is attempted.

Having said that, i made a 109" series 1 fall over going round a corner on the road :unsure:

Well, i need some sort of advantage to make up for my driving :ph34r:

6x6 mite help in the prevention of sinking in bogs over here... and also aid in the recovery of dads tractor every other week when he sinks that! :rolleyes:

post-472-1162594469_thumb.jpg

Yes but due to their extremely limited articulation suspension design, 4x4 Pinz's are not very capable and are prone to falling over if anything remotely difficult is attempted. So that is not a particularly good example.

Bill.

It's horses for courses really. The 6x6 pinz is far more stable that the 4x4, and at any speed over rough terrian (ie un metalled roads, rather than through challenge type stuff) the pinz generally out performs the Land rover - belive me I have tried to keep up!

Incidentally I am sitting here with one of pinzgauer's development engineers....

Mark

You'd be struggling to yank that out with any LandRover, no matter how many wheel drive you have.

It took my tdi rangie and dads 110 chained together, then it came out like a carrot, just like the other 4 times he got it stuck.

He has now got twin-wide rear wheels to aid its flotation, but they havent been fitted yet.

How many arms and legs do Ashcrofts ask for their 6x6 power dividers?

I had no idea they did one, im still thinking on the drive for the extra axle, i have a few ideas, tho i have no funds to go and buy/pay some one to make me one.

First priority is to sell my de-ranged rover (class 1 AWDC trialer) to afford to fetch the 107 over here, as ferry both ways with rangie and 14ft ifor aint cheap...

Then strip it and do the chassis, as no-one seems to want to make me one, it looks like i'll be getting re-aquainted with the welder this winter... :ph34r:

At that point, i'll decide whether to go 4x4 or 6x6, depending on how creative im feeling during re-making the chassis.

It'll either be 6x6 or a bobtailed 107"

Watch this space...

It's horses for courses really. The 6x6 pinz is far more stable that the 4x4, and at any speed over rough terrian (ie un metalled roads, rather than through challenge type stuff) the pinz generally out performs the Land rover - belive me I have tried to keep up!

Incidentally I am sitting here with one of pinzgauer's development engineers....

Mark

Quite possibly the later British built Pinz 6x6's are a little more developed than the earlier aircooled Austrian built ones, but I have seen extensive footage of a group of the earlier model Pinz's in company with a LR hybrid crossing a rocky mountain range in New South Wales called Wirraba Ridge, and the lack of axle articulation, particularly the rear bogie in steep ugly terrain makes for some scary moments with the Pinz's pivoting on the middle axle wanting to slew around sideways and front and rear wheels well off the ground. I think I'd rather have the more articulate 6x6 Volvo for those type of conditions.

Bill.

Do Ashcrofts still make one? If so, its not advertised. Foleys also sell one but its majorly expensive!

Will,It's been a couple of years since I saw the powerdivider on Ashcrofts website, so maybe you'r right about that. Having built my own 6x6 with twin drop box power dividers back in tthe early 1980's I would advise that any conversion that involves extensive modification to the weak Rover type differentials to provide a ''through drive'' to the rear axle is really a waste of effort, as the Rover diffs should be looked upon as consumables like petrol, oil and tyres. From what I remember, the Ashcroft drop box was basically a bolt on, allowing quick and easy replacement of the diff centre.

Bill.