Hydraulic steering box leaking

pili44

You wouldn't want to run the pump with no fluid. It's spinning fast and needs lubrication. At the very least, you'd have to disconnect the drive belt. Is that even possible on your vehicle? With nothing pumping, the steering box could possibly be okay for a little while, if there is fluid in the system (it will barely leak with no pump!). I ran an old Wolseley 6/110 for many months like that with no damage done but can't vouch for the Defender box. I'd think of it more as a get-home solution but others may shed more light.

Agree with western. My old 110 had manual steering, and the steering really wasn't that heavy at all apart from getting in and out of parking spaces. The one I have now on the other hand has PAS and when the bolts holding the bracket to the engine failed recently it felt as if the steering had seized solid!

On july during a "rally" my car broke the inferior seal. We had no option but to drive it. As it's a TD5, we couldn't take out the belt, so had to drive it during 100 miles without a single drop of hydraulic. Nothing happened. We exchanged the inferior seal for a washer and have been perfect since. My mechanic (was my copilot) told me there is no problem at all with running them that way. It's supposed the pump always have a small security quantity blocked by an internal valve that goes on as soon as the pressure drops. I don't know if this is true but the pump is perfect....

We lost all of it right here. We were in the middle of nowhere, so have to kept going....

img_9444.jpg

The next day the thing got worse... we got stucked and force the steering box a little (26 hours in the same spot, no rescue cars or tractors to help us out):

img_9724.jpg

They were really looooong 100 miles, most of them in deep mud... maybe that's why the pump didn't break, I don't know...

Where is it leaking from?

I assume you are just looking to buy time until a good S/H box turns up or cash is available for a new one?

There are cheap enough seal kits around and I did re-seal one and with use of a speedi-sleeve I got over the pitted shaft that was causing the seals failure.

No, mine is not leaking a drop since the inferior seal (the one that is made in teflon) was replaced for a steel washer. The complete history is that the bar that comes in the front of the car, under the bumper, had a really bad hit during a NAS rescue with the terrain and was bended until the steering drop arm, forcing the box with any turn...

Only 2 days before this, the box was completly resealed with an OEM kit that came from Paddocks. It's not the first Defender box in here that have had to take this kind of "inconvinience", all of them have came out with no problems during years.... c'mon, these are Land Rover steering boxes, not Toyota ones... seriously. This Toyota had a little problem with water in the steering system and this was the result:

img-20140723-wa024.jpg

New steering box...

in that "rally" (it's our heaviest route here in Colombia, 1400 km of only mud and water), the Defender were called heroes, believe it or not, we were the saviors of the Toyotas al the time... they were failing with axle breaks, diff explosions, brake "dissapearance" and all kind of electric and electronic gizmos... this was so known in all the country, that no Toyota person here dares now to say nothing about Land Rover reliability... this was the spot were that Toyota lose his box. It's worth to know that the 300 in this photo was the best of the bunch...

img-20140721-wa014.jpg

img_9397.jpg

We also learn the worst thing to have in such a route is a big powerful engine and lockers.... it's like having an anchor, jejeje... the only Defender that was in as many troubles as the Toyotas was the NAS...