gearbox retirement project

I have only 8 to 10 years left to work then its retirement.

So giving myself a project or generally something to do in my twilight years has always been at the back of my mind.

I would hope by that time my beloved landrover will be fully restored to its former glory and just needs those routine service jobs to keep it tip top.

So what do I do ? The thought entered my head whats the most technically demanding job on a landrover, the one job most weekend mechanics shy away from !

Transmission - every time I mention gearbox rebuild I tend to get the same response, get a recon box leave it to the experts.

So the thought crossed my mind as I enjoy a challenge, could I get trained on how to rebuild/refurb landrover gearboxes then I could spend the last years of my sad life pulling gearboxes apart in my shed and refurbing them.

This brings me finally to my question does anyone know where they undertake training courses ?

I look forward to your replys.

Your local adult education centre may be able to offer general maintenance courses, but gearboxes require specific skills which even experienced mechanics may not be willing to tackle.

In my younger days I have tackled gearbox repairs, but never a complete refurbishment and never a Land Rover. One of the issues then was availability of spares. I doubt that has changed except for the worse.

Gearboxes either needed bearings and seals or replacement of the primary shafts, gears etc, Nothing in-between. You required a large number of drifts and a lot of brute force to dismantle - treating synchromesh with a great deal of respect. It didn't take much for a synchromesh to spring apart and it was easy to cut yourself on worn gears in the confined working space. The bit that you needed to get to was always the l;ast bit in the gearbox.

I was lucky in having a brother who trained as an apprentice in United Counties Bus Garage in Northampton. Gearboxes were bread and butter to them. Unfortunately, he died a few years ago. Even had he still been alive, I doubt that I would tackle a gearbox now. I endorse leaving it to the experts.

Are you mechanically minded?

Get the workshop manual, read, digest and understand it's contents. It's not rocket science whatever some people think. The same is said of Salisbury axles. Having done one, I don't see what all the fuss is about.

I would echo ejparott's comments, read the manual, check the tech archive on here and have a go yourself. If possible, pick up a cheap one on ebay and have a go in your own time. I did my own LT77 with good results in the end - I had a problem at first, see here:

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=72267

I very much appreciate the feedback guys.

I am not put off having a go and the suggestion of buying an old box to strip and rebuild is a good start.

If nothing else it would give me a project and a backup box if this one gives up in the future.