Making iPhone Dock on Dashtop

My dashtop has the common cracks/splits at the ashtray.

At first i thought about replacing it. This idea was quickly forgotten as soon as i saw cost of a new one.

I then considered just fixing a piece of Black anodized ally to match the finish/width of my Raptor console. From there i progressed to wondering if it would be possible to make some kind of iPhone docking station there.

Has anyone done something similar? Are the parts required for this readily available? Or would the positioning of this lend itself to the phone just falling off all the time?

Id be interested to hear opinions? Maybe its a silly idea but i thought id throw it out there :)

Just buy a desktop iPhone cradle, and fix it in place, it's how i do all my in car bits, along with some double sided sticky tape!

You may want to glue/screw it in though, as normally I fix stuff to the top of the dash so drilling holes in it doesn't make it to easy to sell :)

I quite like the look of the Belkin one. Also, they are supposed to be good quality.

How do you have your connected? Are you running it from a usb socket in your vehicle somewhere? Maybe there would be a way to hard wire it running a cable up through the dash for neatness..

Good idea. I dont think the base of the dock station is quite big enough to cover the ashtray and its neighbouring cracks.

Ive found a place on ebay that sell black anodized ally in any custom size you want. I will get a piece made the same width as Raptor console and same depth as dashpad and mount the dock station to that :)