Diff question

Anderzander

I've gone shopping for a 2nd hand trutrac which has raised a question ...

I know that they are sold as separate items front and rear - and I've seen the guide for opening them and swapping the gears to turn a front to back and visa-versa --- but what actually is the difference ?

I read on Ashcrofts site that it's the preload that is different - but could someone explain what that means please ?

For a bit more background - I found one advertised for sale and asked if it was a front one, yes was the answer. Then later he came back and said they were the same - I thougt he meant just as in the physical fitment, but no he says they can be run in either end identically with no modification.... ?

And there you have it

Diametrically balanced answers :rofl:

I don't like them because

When they fail they tend to self destruct vs simple break

They fetch very strong money....Some are reaaaly old and just not worth it

The after sales support / parts is dreadfull

Auto lockers are not the same as a locker.they predate true selectable lockers...odd technology vs selectable locker

Buy an ashlocker if you want lockers

Fitted in 2002, done RFC, Ladoga, many uk events, and many road miles. Never touched them and very pleased with them (detroit locker in the back, and true trac in the front). I don't think you can say the same from yours?

I have heard that their quality control has gone downhill over the years, which could be a reason of bad press.

Daan

Prob with them is use and abuse.

A locker either ARB ...With all its faults and quirks or an ashlocker is very rebuild able even when abused....

True tracs and detroits are often old abused and overpriced. I have a box load of bits of broken ones which have failed...and boy when the time fail they go big time lol

If you bought / buy one new then that's a bit different. ....but look at the price vs what you get.

Detroits after sales / spare parts service / support is so bad we will not touch them any more....

They do have a place in the 4x4 world for sure. ....but things have moved on massively since they were made.

Buy one by all means but check out oil condition as a clue and age...dome are very very old !

Bought new Nd looked after they are strong. ....but not cheap !

Thank you - though could you expand on what 'clamping' means ?

After advise on here I put a wanted ad up on devon for a trutrac or Ashcroft ATB - someone has actually come forward with an ATB that I'm going to look at hopefully.

Why I want them is a little long winded though !

Briefly:

*I can really manage without for what I drive - but now I have a little girl who can't walk out of trouble I want something to help.

*I like open Diffs in the way they do allow different wheel speed - where the vehicle doesn't break traction because or a wheel being turned not impede very tight turns.

*I use left foot breaking already to 'tighten' things up sometimes and that would work well with the ATB

Our posts crossed ....

I would have loved to be able to afford to pay you to build me two Ashcroft ATB's - but I can't :(. I was tempted to ring, but really I'd have been wasting your time.

You once said something along the lines that you build to a quality and not down to a price - which sort of scuppers me.

I get the fact if a cheaper option goes wrong it's expensive - but I'd still need to have the money.

An ashcroft atb is different again to a detroits true trac !

But

They are good value even NEW so before you go shelling out dosh check out Daves website as they are 295+vat from memory for centres.

They are bludy strong too

Horses for courses.....just be careful what you spend your gard earned on....There is some real overpriced ****e out there.

Think...choose..Buy wise and buy once !

Some 2nd hand bargains when then sorted are not such a bargain....be careful !

Build it yourself? Ask around on the forum and someone local might help you out for a beer?

I was once in need of a pinion bearing replacement on a truetrac and dirtydiesel kindly offered to build it into another diff casing. More recently I built my kaiser locker, a friend offered useful advise and I just set it by feel, reused all fixings and torqued nothing, rattled it all together with the 3/8 air gun. Not perfect but it did some good service.

If you absolutely cannot do it yourself or get any free/cheap help then save a bit more, buy the Ashcroft ATB thru nige (he's an approved dealer dontcha know) and get him to build it, it should come in under £600

I am.....:D

And both very grateful to Dave and proud too. As an ex KAM employee where they are 13 miles from me going Ashcroft ruffled some feathers. ..but I get superb service from ashcroft.

Coming at thus from a different angle

Do you want to do one or both axles ?

If both do you have to do both now vs 1 x now one x later ?

Seriously ..whats your budget ?

Nige

Firstly - thank you all for your input. I've digressed somewhat from my original query somehow - but this has been very helpful.

I have given a verbal agreement to the chap with the ATB for sale - £320 built and he describes it as spot on.

It's worth the risk for me I think.

I do plan to have front and rear - but the front at a later date.

I've taken on board about the old and hammered trutracs out there.

I think a plan would be for me to save up and buy a front ATB from Nige - or to use the rear diff that comes out of the front of mine to try and build an ATB out of it myself as per Lewis' suggestion.