Electric Block Heaters

A good friend in Norway has something similar in his 300Tdi Disco, he considers it a necessity in winter(think -20°C cold and wind chills of -40°C) so he runs it from October to March, warms up to running temp faster and gets heat in the cab quicker too, he runs a coolant circulation pump that helps keep the water temp stable all round the system.

He has an LED warning light on the dash to let him know if he has forgotten to unplug it.

The only thing John did say that it would have been simpler to have fitted a later Kenlowe hot-start all in one unit, but the block heater came up at a good price and the rest just fell into place.

My socket faces sort of backward so it 'auto yanks'.

"Toasty out-cold back" isn't as bad as you think, as it normally gets warmer throughout the day.

Are we talking core plug block heater? I see what they do, but I prefer my Kenlow heater/pump combo brick, as it warms the heater matrix. But maybe that is kind of over-rated as it soon goes cooler again. At the moment I have the Kenlow and a green house air heater on timers. And new for this year, some Ebay heated seat pads :)

Might connect a small charger as well?

I run 10 mins to work and it has saved my engine from the dreaded white gunk, so maybe the best mod I've done :)

I guess the main thing is cable runs. If it chafes through you could have a live truck sat on rubber tyres?

Engine oil heater and a gearbox oil heater would be nice. Perhaps the gearbox heater before engine oil? (The oil is warm once it has been around once). Depends how much your syncro hubs hate thick oil. Mine hate it. Once the 240v wiring is in place there's mucho opportunity. No need to run an extension lead to use a drill :)