One link and panhard rods...

I'm all confused looking!

I have been looking at vehicles with one links front and rear and have come across conflicting info. I understand the front panhard must run with the drag link, but what about on the rear? Should it echo the front and also run the same or should it be opposite to counteract some funky roll centre type stuff?

It would be for slow speed trialing type stuff.

Also my tomcat with radius arms back and front has both running the same way, does this not matter with radius arms or is there another reason.

Will...

Just from a practical point of view, I think it doesn't really matter. If we take a look at a P38, which has panhards front and rear stock, it depends on if the vehicle is LHD or RHD.

On a LHD, the rear panhard is parallel to the front panhard, and the draglink. On a RHD, the rear panhard keeps using the same mountings (AFAIK), and the front is swapped over so it's again parallel to the draglink.

Theoretically, there's probably a case to be made for one of the options. I guess at speed you'd prefer them parallel, to minimise the rear axle going in a different direction than the front over bumps. For trialling, I doubt it really matters.

I made my one links panhards mount the same front and rear. Captain Slow is right. It has to match the front tie rod or it would jack the front up and down when steering. Hyrdaulic steering means it doesnt matter but ram-assist still needs to match :-)

samuraijuly20-009.jpg

• Like 1

I made my one links panhards mount the same front and rear. Captain Slow is right. It has to match the front tie rod or it would jack the front up and down when steering. Hyrdaulic steering means it doesnt matter but ram-assist still needs to match :-)samuraijuly20-009.jpg

Must be missing something here, what's lifting the front wheel?

I always get c r a p when I post that picture, lol - it's chained to the hoist. I don't have a handy forklift so there you go. I have done one attempt at a competition ramp - I got about a 700 rti score. Not bad. Wheelbase is 104" so that would be about ....25 inches up a 20degree ramp? I'm sure I could make it go higher that that was good enough. It behaves nicely offroad. I've had it all twisted up in a steep uphill ravine and it was very well behaved.