New Radiator for V8

missingsid

Hi,

This is not a thread about what rad to use for a Series v8, but what to replace a worn out current rad with.

I have been running a series 1 rad for 27 years and it has never boiled once. however the top tank of the rad has a number of small splits where the strenghtening grooves are due to past dent damage and now they are leaking.

As I have a one piece flip front I had to make a metal support frame for the rad so I want to retain the existing type rad as a repalcement.

So what is my question then?

I want to buy a new Series rad but it needs to have the additional small pipe added for the carb tower plus to be honnest the original top and bottom hose pipes are too small for a V8 pipework. does anyone have any suggestions for a replacement rad of a similar size fixing with custom pipes or a place where I can get a new Series rad reworked to suit?

There is a rad repair company in Slough who I went to some years ago so I will try there but maybe a better more modern solution is out there?

I wonder if it would be easier to have a standard rad with a blanking cap and a header tank. the engine bleed could go to that then.

But also, the engine bleed on the V8 goes to the bottom tank, except the tank is on sideways if you see what I mean. So is there any difference between an extra port o your series rad, and putting a bolt-in-fitting into the top hose?

I wonder if it would be easier to have a standard rad with a blanking cap and a header tank. the engine bleed could go to that then.

This is exactly what I had on my Series 2 V8. I used the brass header tank that came from the donor Range Rover.

I wondered about teeing the carb hose into the top hose?

Yes. I cut the top hose and fitted a home made tee adapter to connect the manifold hose. I found a piece of stainless pipe the correct diameter and TIG welded a smaller bore piece to the side. Worked perfectly.

With a bog-standard S3 rad I never had any cooling issues when driving it hard, or off road. I was using a 16" single electric fan in front of the rad.

It makes me wonder about all the overheating problems some folk have with pretty standard V8s.

Cheers, I also have a tank connected to the rad with a blank cap on the rad.

The tee idea I may consider unless the addition of a pipie to the rad is cheap.

Use of S3 rad is interesting as it is quite different from an S1 or 2 rad. Are the overall dimensions the same?

Marc