Anti Scuff Paste

PaulN

Bit out of my depth here within this Forum and so, having done a search and only finding 2 results neither of which answer a query.......

A mate of mine with a rather special Series 3 wants to add a Fairey Overdive unit wich he has now bought and would like to get it on.... :excl:

He understands that 'Anti Scuff Paste' is required for the assembly and neither of us knows what the 'ASP' is and why it should be necessary if the running oil is EP90? :o

May we ask for enlightenment please? :)

Many thanks,

Paul.

It is available, but it's expensive. The bearing surface in question (the back end of the main shaft and inside of the the OD's input shaft) only move as much as spline wear allow - the bearing surface is no longer running like it did without the OD fitted. So, a dollop of heavy grease is quite enough to prevent any harm occurring.

Back on-line again now.....Thanks everso Gents for your replies... :)

Nice to have such good advice.

I will be passing on this info to ensure the proper instalation of the overdrive unit - will most likely transform the drive! ;)

Before I do can I, for personal interest, ask what this stuff is? That makes it so definitively preferable?

Obviously a fairly stiff paste but is it a petroleum grease with added ingredients or is it some modern techno polymerised jell and not a mixer? :mellow:

Many thanks,

PaulN :)

... can I, for personal interest, ask what this stuff is? That makes it so definitively preferable?

Obviously a fairly stiff paste but is it a petroleum grease with added ingredients or is it some modern techno polymerised jell and not a mixer?

Follow the link given, there are two posts, the second looks like a crib from from the Rocal site.

From the options you give, 'stiff paste' is closest. It isn't especially oily or greasy, nothing like the CV or modern swivel lubricant. Nor is it a jell. You could adulterate it with oil, but to what point?

Regards