S1 V8 axle

HoggyN

I've been pondering over the best rear axle option for a V8 (Rover 3.5) engined S1 86". My thoughts so far are a S3 case with an Ascroft locker and HD halfshafts. I'm unsure over whether a pegged diff, HD ring and pinion or both would be worthwhile. Any suggestions?

Use is pottering about and green laning with a few longish 130 mile journeys thrown in. Oh, and I've managed to break two halfshafts with the 2.0 litre engine which probably doesn't bode well for the V8. Green laning is almost always solo so I want something reliable... or as reliable I can get without swapping the S1 for something else.

TIA

IF you can get a hold of Ashcroft HD shafts, I have a set and they are real nice but they were only a limited run. And still if you do that you will have weak R&P. These could be swapped for Ashcroft ones as well but with all these goodies it won't be a cheap axle setup! Perhaps just swap in a Salisbury? They are mucho strong and reliable and cost next to nothing. Only downsides are a slight weight increase, less ground clearance (though easily made considerably less) and a shorter prop (2 inches) But being a 86" should be able to get away with that if don't go crazy on lifting the suspension.

Blimey, you must have heavy feet? I only broke one halfshaft and that was trying to clear a stuck clutch by driving on the brake and throttle at the same time!

It is true that the current long shaft has twisted though!

Can't comment on upgrades other than Ashcrofts apparently use HfH for pegging so go to him for a fully built diff if that is the way you decide to go!

Marc.

With the lockers the centre flexes less so pegging isn't needed, but I still would as it is just way better to stop the flexing at the source. With all that done you would be going well to bust a crown wheel, as the teeth won't be able to climb up on each other to pull the edges off.

I presume you can buy standard shafts and get them cut down and have weld on flanges or new splines cut? Salibury does sound the cheapest fix for the V8. I think your options are down to availability of the shafts and if you can't get any, the Salisbury looks very sencible.

Thanks for the replies. Ashcroft has some series shafts listed at the moment which is what prompted me to start thinking about upgrading the axle. Until I saw those the Salisbury seemed like the cheapest (only) option. It doesn't give me a locker though and when that is taken into consideration, plus it's other disadvantages, a beefed up series starts to look less extravagant.

It also means I can get it on the car now without even having to take the wheels off.

• 2 weeks later...

Why not go with an Ashcroft ATB rather than a full locker?

It might suit your usage better. Still go pegged and HD shafts with it.

I wouldn't go HD R&P as well as pegged for laning.

I've stripped a pegged front diff in my Series but it was landing full throttle from a climb up the side of a stone quarry with the locker in so entirely driver error on my part. It took a lot of teeth off.

I have Ashcroft rear Series shafts and they have taken much abuse without issue.

The ATB over full locker would give greater reliability as you are eliminating the whole air and switching systems. Also, I've found, the ATB diffs aren't as demanding on the shafts similar to the way an autobox gives reduced breakage.

Thanks.

I did consider an ATB but I'd like the option to lock up the axle completely. It's a pity that the ATB can't be combined with the locker as that would give the best of both worlds. Having to have air is a bit of a pain, at least initially, but I intend to fit an engine driven compressor so, long term, not a problem.

I had a chat with Nige and he recommended a HD ring and pinion as the standard 4.7 is weak. He didn't reckon pegging it was really necessary.

Thinking long term, I'd ideally like to add an ATB to the front axle although, unfortunately, it would have to be ten spline so the Ashcroft ATB is out.