heater not very hot

Doug G.

how hot should it get in the cabin, N reg 300tdi?

Just had loads of work done and this is the first time using heater but does not seem to kick out much, takes ages to get warm but even on mid point on the gauge its still not that hot, normal?

They can run a bit on the cool side but your heater should still do it's job. Start by checking the coolant level as if it hasn't been refilled correctly to eliminate all the air pockets this could be the result. If you need help on the correct refilling procedure ask again.

Cheers,

John

could be worth crawling about in the footwells watching the heater flaps move. the heater matrix is always 100& waterflow, the hot/cold flap just controls how much air passes through it. possible the cable clamps off the controls have slipped so its not getting set to hot.

id be surprised by an airlock tbh, i never use the correct procedure to fill my disco & ive never suffered one. i just fill the header tank & top it up when its got hot once.

Mine used to take at least 15 minutes to get up to temperature and the heater wouldn't give me any heat until the temp gauge was reading normal operating temperature. Turned out to be a knackered thermostat. It cost next to nowt to buy and very little time to fit - in fact most of the time was spent draining the coolant. Now I get heat within the first couple of minutes regardless of whether the temp gauge has moved at all.

I never used the procedure once until once on the way home the temp shot up and the system emptied itself.

To fill remove header tank cap, stat blank cap and rad blank cap, fill header tank to correct level until it remains steady, refit header tank cap,fill up stat hole till rad hole is steady,refit rad bung, then fill up stat hole until level steady, refit stat bung, do not remove header tank cap with the bungs removed, done it like this and never had any probs.

If plastic caps knackered go to plumbing place and get some 1/2" bsp rad bungs these are a pefect fit and some come with an integral o-ring, cost about £1.00 each.

Lynall

Doing my head in this one, had the rad fluid changed and check level at header tank every day.

The heater will kick in after a while but just seems off to me also had another thermostat put in so very sure not that. Keep asking the mechanic about air locks and fluid levels and he is positive no air locks.

I have felt the hoses the push water to the heating matrix and the are quite hot so sure that water is flowing.

if your sure the heather has hot water in it i can only think of two things that'd limit heat output.

either the heater matrix is clogged (muddy water over the bonnet a lot?)

or the flap inside the heater box that channels the airflow through the matrix isnt moving all the way.

im not sure offhand what you can see under the dash to tell if the flap is moving correctly & my truck is 120miles away so i cant check. the flap is operated by a bowden cable off the lever. from memory when i rebuilt my heater the bits (levers?) on the side of the heater the cable pushes arent the strongest thing in the world.