Maybe Not The End For Defender

need4speed

Having done the factory tour yesterday:

- Anixter definitely supply some bits (plenty of bins of nuts & bolts with Anixter written on them), makes sense as Anixter are all about anything small & fiddly (thank them for trim clips)

- DHL do all the logistics, tour guide explained that if one of the workers reaches for the next part and it's not there, they hit a button, the line grinds to a halt and penalties start racking up against DHL until the man with the milk float arrives with more bits.

- GKN now build the axles, chassis, transfer and gearboxes. Didn't quite catch the hint (it was noisy in there) but it did seem there was a slight glimmer of a suggestion that this could possibly mean that production could be moved elsewhere with GKN continuing supply. However, it could also have been taken as "if GKN weren't making them we'd have had to stop years ago" as they are very busy churning out Range Rovers and Jags at a rate of about 50:1 for every Defender built, and are running out of space to stack everything.

- If they are planning a Defender replacement everyone's taken a vow of silence, no-one would say anything on the subject (not even a nod or a wink) and I didn't spot anything (parts, prototypes, etc.) anywhere.

Given how labour-intensive the Defender is I could well imagine packing it up & moving it to India would make some sort of sense, but why they'd keep it such a super-secret if that were the case I don't know.

My bad, you're right, Dana is axles. Guess I'll have to go round again and pay more attention ^_^

If Dana are supplying the axles... one has to ask. Why the FRIG did LR never ask them to supply some Dana 44 axles with Rover fittings..... instead of the chocolate spec Rover items.

I know this is far too late in the day now. But come on!!!! What a p'iss take.