Shock bushes

Are the washers and bushes on a rear shock pin interchangeable with the pin fittings on the front ones?

Also - am I right in presuming that most aftermarket defender shocks use standard size bushes and washers ? On the basis that they locate in the same holes and must bring some economies of production costs ? ......

I have found that generally within brands the fittings will be compatible, i.e. on standard Land Rover shocks the front shock fittings are compatible with those on the bottom of the rear ones. The same is true for the Koni I have on mine currently.

The Koni shocks do seem to use similar bushes/washers to the standard ones, at least they are the same type/design. However I had a set of Monroe ones that came with the car and they had a different shape of bush (sort of a single doughnut rather than a double one) and trying to use thicker O.E. bushes meant the pin wasn't long enough. This necessitated replacing the shocks all for a simple bush that wasn't available seperately.

Later vehicles had a different design on the rear axle lower bush as well, with a captive pair of inner washers (cups) welded to the axle mount. The bushes for these are sort of a cone shape. Generally for aftermarket bushes one would expect to have to remove the cups and retro-fit the original four-washer setup.

I think Disco from 300Tdi onwards (or maybe earlier - mid-200Tdi production?), and then Defender from some time around Td5 onwards? I know that a 2002 Td5 90 I used to drive for work definitely had the cups fitted.

But the two styles are fairly distinctive so there shouldn't be any mixups.

Td5 have the locating cups welded in, irritating as hell cause they wear out...

most washers are interchangeable, the limiting factor is whether the bush fits the washer and its locating cup and whether the stud on the shock is long enough for the thickness of the bush.

what I have done with my fleet of TD5's is to cut off the locating cups and weld on a 10mm piece of steel pipe with an ID that fits the most commonly available shock bushes, this way we toss the washers, the bushes remain located (important so that your shock stud doesn't saw thru the mounting bracket) and we don't struggle with stud length.

we also have double shocks fitted to all our rear axles and this makes an Enourmous difference to a heavily loaded land rover.

we have moved away from all the "special off road" shocks as they all end up self destructing in only a little longer time than the el-cheapo aftermarket ones...

but all of the above is also a tailored solution to keeping a fleet of ladies running in Botswana where spares are not readily available and need to be fixable in the bush... with what the vehicle spares market in botswana has to offer.