Wheel "chuffing" sound - ideas?

Snagger

Hi all.

My wife had to get the 109 into a garage to replace the rear drive flange gasket, which went fine, but they didn't torque the wheel nuts up right afterwards and the wheel nearly came off. It's an alloy and is now damaged on is seat and around the nut flange seats, so the spare was used to replace it.

Apparently it is now making a chuffing noise from that corner, especially when turning and putting weight onto that side, which was not the case before the first wheel came loose, and the only sound then was the knocking. Any ideas what it could be? I'm a long way away and can't take a look at it.

If the threads on the studs are damaged, it's possible that the nuts weren't done up all the way home? Just a tiny amount could mean they are 'tight' on the thread but loose from a POV of holding the wheel against the drum.

I had loose wheel bolts on my Audi, sounded like a wheel bearing gone, but was basically being held central by the fact the wheel locates on a central boss, unlike a LR....

No, identical wheels and tyres, though the tyre has been used before (still has about 13-14mm of the original 16mm tread), and the threads are good. I doubt the wheel nuts are damaged, though they did wear their seats in the other wheel, but I have no way of inspectingt he nuts. Does it sound plausible that they're damaged? My wife said the chuffing was less pronounced today, and only happened when turning away from that side, rather than being continuous and more pronounced in a turn. Could a couple of years sat the same way up on the back door have done somehting to the tyre?

I suppose it's possible the studs are damaged even if the threads are OK - they could be slightly bent, putting the wheel off centre, but I'd expect that to be felt rather than heard. Still seems unlikely, being an alloy witht he correct nuts, though I can easily understand how a steel wheel would damage the studs unde the same circumstances.

The tyre didn't have a cover, so the top half did suffer more UV. It is slightly browned by the sun, but had no crazing, cracking or crumbling, just the slight discolouration which disappears with washing. I did use one of those tyre dressing sprays a few times over the two years on it for protection, and I suspect the coverage was thicker on the top half tha the bottom. Do you reckon it may have been absorbedinto the tread rubber, causing the noise as it creeps on the tarmac?

is the tyre pressure the same today as it was before?

iv'e had a similar blowout before, albeit on a loaded trailer (ag tipper) where there was a chuffing, basically the tyre was opening up every time it rolled round and weigh was applied to that particular area, took a surprisingly long time to run flat, i managed to make the turn off the road (had to as i would block the whole road off) and the scrub force of the turn finished it off with a bang.