lapland want to come?

miketomcat

theres a group of nutters :ph34r: from the shires going to norway on the 31st march returning to uk 13th april we're planning to drive to tromso to see the northern lights via nord kapp if its open. we will be camping for the most part so a little chilly :blink: temps for that time are about the same as mid winter here. it's likely to be a round trip of about 3000 miles mainly road miles but bear in mind there should be a lot of snow around. :) costs are approx but its £430 for the ferry fuel is about the same as here food is slightly more and beer is extorsionate sorry chaps, so all in 2 people in one truck it's looking to be about £1500-£2000. if your interested let me know we've got 3 definates and 2 maybes would like to have a max of 6 trucks.

come on you know you want to!!!!

mike

theres a group of nutters :ph34r: from the shires going to norway on the 31st march returning to uk 13th april we're planning to drive to tromso to see the northern lights via nord kapp if its open. we will be camping for the most part so a little chilly :blink: temps for that time are about the same as mid winter here. it's likely to be a round trip of about 3000 miles mainly road miles but bear in mind there should be a lot of snow around. :) costs are approx but its £430 for the ferry fuel is about the same as here food is slightly more and beer is extorsionate sorry chaps, so all in 2 people in one truck it's looking to be about £1500-£2000. if your interested let me know we've got 3 definates and 2 maybes would like to have a max of 6 trucks.

come on you know you want to!!!!

mike

Get your ferry to Hamburg so you can stock up on cheap quality German beer. I went at a similar time of year, but to Swedish Lapland. Drove to Halmstad, then caught a 24 hour train via Gothenberg. Stayed in a mountain lodge within the arctic circle. Skidoos, huskies and ice fishing. It was great, you will love it. Temps will be a bit lower at night than you are expecting! If there are a few of you together, you will be able to rent rooms at mountain stations with bunks, similar to hostels. It was so cold in March you were not allowed to pour water down the sinks, as they said the pipes were frozen in the earth!

Get your ferry to Hamburg so you can stock up on cheap quality German beer. I went at a similar time of year, but to Swedish Lapland. Drove to Halmstad, then caught a 24 hour train via Gothenberg. Stayed in a mountain lodge within the arctic circle. Skidoos, huskies and ice fishing. It was great, you will love it. Temps will be a bit lower at night than you are expecting! If there are a few of you together, you will be able to rent rooms at mountain stations with bunks, similar to hostels. It was so cold in March you were not allowed to pour water down the sinks, as they said the pipes were frozen in the earth!

thanks mountain cabins were aleays going to be an option. we're takeing the ferry to burgen otherwise we won't have enough time :( did you take/need snow chains or were the roads clear enough to not need the any advice you can give would be apprecated

thanks

mike

thanks mountain cabins were aleays going to be an option. we're takeing the ferry to burgen otherwise we won't have enough time :( did you take/need snow chains or were the roads clear enough to not need the any advice you can give would be apprecated

thanks

mike

Hi Mike,

We were driven around by friends. No one used chains, they had tyres with big metal studs on. Most people we know up there have Volvo's. Beware of the Elk on the roads, especially at night. You will see most vehicles have huge spots on the front to give them plenty of warning of animals on the road. I heard some nightmare stories of collisions with these creatures often with fatal results.

If you are going direct I would take your beer with you!

Cheers, Paul

Norway is a fantastic country despite the alcohol price, and the locals are very friendly.

all use studded tyres through the winter and roads are kept clear of snow (not ice though) most of the time despite the fact its falling at a foot and hour or more at times. if the passes cant be kept clear they normally stick a barrier across.

i would recommend studded tyres for winter although the probelm is you cant drive on them in the UK to the port!

its warmed up quite a bit by the time your talking of going though, whats the expected temp range around Tromso?

Summer huts/cabins are a good option although they are not normally near roads - being located clsoe to ski loops/mountain passes etc so not sure how you plan to get to them from the road.

if you venture off road (not sure on the legalites) bear in mind most of Norway when its not frozen seems to be standing water in the form of lakes or bogs! (and having dropped through the top of a frozen lake i can assure you its not a nice feeling) quite wet as well!!! until it freezes anyway.

i would love to go although timings wont work out.

take some spirits with you and flog to the locals! or leave as presents.

Was in that part of the world earlier this year. Fantastic place.

On some roads they obviously do convoys when weather is bad. These convoys run at specfic times like a bus timetable but with snowploughs in front.

Nord Kapp is NOT the most northerly part of Europe. To get to the most northerly part you need to get to

Knivskjelloden which is 1 minute further north in latitude then Nord Kapp is inaccessible by road and is reached by a 9 km hike in off the E69. Not sure what that 18km round trip would be like at that time off the year though.

DSC02906-1.jpg

Nord Kapp from Norways northerly most point

Average speeds in Norway is a lot slower then in the UK. Don't expect to cover 50-60 mles in an hour. More like 50-60 kilometres in an hour

Would recommend using the cabins up north. It was cold at night time in mid August let alone March time

You wil certainly have fun

Regards

Leeds

re fthe cabins i reckon camping would be fine as long as decent tent and you have a good stove - peak or similar i have managed to camp through most of the winter there and its warmer by Mar anyway. decent sleeping bag would be good though! you dont need to go down though.

re fthe cabins i reckon camping would be fine as long as decent tent and you have a good stove - peak or similar i have managed to camp through most of the winter there and its warmer by Mar anyway. decent sleeping bag would be good though! you dont need to go down though.

Thinking of camping you could always use a Scandinavia type tent. Like a wigwam with a wood burning stove in the middle. Come in various sizes up to a 20 person tent

regards

Leeds

Great photo Leeds.

When you have been in Norway, have you seen the Orcas in the Fjords? I think they are attracted there during the herring run.

Thanks Paul. Nope we didn't see any Orcas. Missed seeing one off Knivskjelloden by about 30 minutes

Will return in 07

Will try putting up a thread on our travels either tomorrow or over weekend

Regards

Leeds

Yep. But you only need one tent for the 6 vehicles

...problem being there's a D-Lander, Tomcat and Ibex so far! lol! ...suppose they could carry a bit each and strap the rest to the roof :ph34r::lol:;)

Does look like a fantastic trip and I would love to come but the money's been earmarked for something else :(

...problem being there's a D-Lander, Tomcat and Ibex so far! lol! ...suppose they could carry a bit each and strap the rest to the roof :ph34r::lol:;)

funny thats just what i was going to say. :lol: as for hiking anywhere whilst i'm willing poss 2 others might the ones left may prefer to chew through there own arm "don't do walking thats what i bought a car for" :ph34r:

as for route and speeds nothings set we're going to take it as it comes theres thing we'd like to do but nothings rigid :blink:

mike