landrover no roof seatbelt help

Tom17

hello

i am currently rebuilding my 90 with canvas roof and military roll bar for mounting the seatbelt to.

i really like the simple look of the half doors with the tops removed and the roll bar off so it is literally just my torso and the windscreen that is higher than the tub and i plan to keep it garaged and is my second car so the terrible brit weather doesn't put me off.

my question with regards to the seatbelts is this... would i be ok to bolt the seatbelt to the body rather than have the military roll bar or any other type of bar?

post-69118-0-49284900-1435444507_thumb.jpg

post-69118-0-02417100-1435444523_thumb.jpg

I did it in the past, but failed to get much tension on the seatbelts when I put a hood on mine (and it passed MOT before anyone asks...).

However I'd advise against it....

What I now have is a short bar about 8" high with seat belt brackets welded to it that the belt bolts too and everything is taught.

like this... (not at that cost!!!) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raised-Upper-Seat-Belt-Bracket-For-Soft-Top-Land-Rover-No-Seat-Belts-/261485421736

The problem without the small hoop is the belts just don't seem to site right on the shoulder and can be a bit loose maybe defeating the object...

Rob

yeah i thought that they would possibly want to slip off the shoulder. i will keep eyes out for one of those brackets at a reasonable cost or may consider fitting a 3 point harness to each seat.

A lap belt would be allowed for a centre seat, as that is how LR built them.

Outer seats however need a 4-point inertia belt. If the top mount is not higher than your shoulder it wont adequately restrain you in the event of a frontal collision, and as already mentioned, the belt will tend to slip off your shoulder.

I think the military hoop in your first picture is pretty much the minimum you can sensibly get away with.

In my old Series 3 I simply bolted the top point of the inertia belt to the bulkhead (with spreader bars) but I doubt that would be allowed with a 90. Additionally it was quite uncomfortable because the belt pulled you down into the seat rather thank back into it. The military hoop in my 90 is far more comfortable and probably safer also.

As per Mickeyw said, I think that you are best staying with the military hoop.

When my Series III was a soft top I had a seat belt bar like the one in robertspark's post. Worked fine, and kept the loop well above your shoulder. The only issue was the attachment of the inertia reel, I ended up attaching it to the body capping with a spreader plate.

I fitted a fairly hefty roll bar when I took the roof off my series 3, I didn't find it obtrusive and liked the idea that it would provide me with some chance of survival should the worst happen.

If you're dead set on not having any bar then perhaps have a look at a 4 point harness, anchor it to a bar behind the bulkhead. Personally I would be paranoid that I was going to roll and the harness would stop me from even trying to duck out the way.