Td5 Fuel filter query

Anglo-Frenchman

Hi. I've just serviced my 2002 Discovery (252km) and was curious about the new Bearmach fuel filter I was sent as part of the service pack I bought off Ebay. The fuel filter on my Disco has an electrical fitting on the bottom which I think is a water sensor or something. The new filter came with the standard plastic water drain thing which I usually unscrew, discard and replace with the electronic sensor. This time I found that the sensor thread did not fit the Bearmach filter to could not install it. Instead I left the plactic drain screw in place and tied the sensor out of the way. Everthing seems to work OK (apart from ther sensor obviously) but I was curious as to why the sensor didn't fit the filter. I thought it was a standard fit.

The other query I have is that I always find that when I change the fuel filter, I have to bleed the fuel line to get the Disco started whereas the book says that you don't need to. This time I had a real job getting it going. Is there something that I'm not doing or doing wrong? Should I fill the new filter with diesel first to prime it?

Thanks

Ged

Are you sure it's the correct filter for your motor? My 04 model doesn't have the sensor fitted from the factory and I've never had to bleed the system when just doing the filter - just leave it to bleed itself.

Griff

Thanks for the replies guys. Regarding the fuel filter, this is the first time I've ever been sent a filter that the sensor won't fit. I had assumed that it was standard. The thread in the base of the new Bearmatch filter is slightly smaller than the older Britpart one.

Interesting about priming the filter and I agree, it's a lot of air to clear out of the system otherwise. In future, I'll prime if with diesel and see how that works.

No,dont fill the filter with diesel - its a filter,let it do its job. The injection equipment has very small holes in its nozzles and very fine tolerances within the EUI's.(Electronic unit injectors.) Pouring diesel into a filter means some will end up being unfiltered... All you need to do is replace the filter then switch on the ignition,pump the throttle pedal 5 times in less than 10 seconds. The fuel pump will then cycle on and off for a while to purge the air.Some TD5's will fire up after one session of this,some need two.

The water sensor hole in the bottom of the filter is a standard M10x 1.5mm thread,so there shouldn't be a problem - unless of course the filter isn't the correct one for a TD5. I would not take a chance on a diesel like a TD5 where fuel filters are concerned,there are plenty of reasonably priced quality filters on sale...

The 200/300 TDI filter is compatible, BUT, the thread/hole on the bottom is different. You must have got one of those by accident. I only know it because I thought the filters were identical, and they can be used, but you can't get the water sensor in.

Hijacking - has anyone ever moved the filter, I've seen people complain about it's position, myself included when I found out where it was, but not actually seen anyone say they did it.