Draining a Discovery 2, TD5 fuel tank

boaterboy

Has anyone managed to drain a Discovery 2, TD5 fuel tank via the filler cap, please?

I've tried without success.

It appears that the filler pipe enters the tank horizontally and near the top, meaning the drain hose being used sits above the level of the fuel in the tank and doesn't drop down.

I was reluctant to be too forceful with the drain hose in case it interfered with the fuel gauge sender unit.

If what I say above is correct, how does one drain the tank prior to removal, please?

How much fuel is in it? Either remove the rubber hose from the rear of the filler and insert the hose down through that or if the fuel level is low enough, remove this completely and insert the hose directly into the tank and syphon. I think I did a combination of both.

About 60 litres as best that I can judge, so too heavy to manage easily.

A good thought of yours, Scotts90, re. going directly into the tank.

The pipe & jubilee clips are easily accessed from underneath, I see, so will give what you suggest a try.

Thank you.

Thank you all, some very useful advice, much appreciated.

Just one other question.

Two pipes run alongside the main filler hose when viewed from underneath the vehicle.

All three are linked together (by means of a section of plastic moulding?) before they disappear up alongside the bodywork.

One of the hoses, plastic(?), approx. 10mm outside diameter, is looped round and totally kinked before going over the top of the tank at the other end to the bodywork.

What is this pipe for, please?

And, what is likely to be the impact of the kink in the hose?

To help identify the hose in question, I can see, in line with the hose, what looks like a block with a red, square insert.

Lift the carpet in the back, take the pump out and suck it out. Takes no more than 15 minutes to get the carpet up.

I think the td5 has an anti syphon gauze in the filler neck doesnt it?

Yep. This is the best way to empty the tank. Takes about 5 minutes from start to finish to get the pump out. Pipe in, and syphon out the fuel. Job done.