drive flanges and hubs RRC axle

GW8IZR

So I've read a bit about this and just need a bit of advice please.

On my 90 I have an elderly rear axle from a RRC, it has imperial brake calliper fittings and when I refurbished it I put new calipers on it - it has a 10 spline Quaife diff and I want to keep that.

The diameter of the hub is ever so slightly bigger than a 90 or Discovery hub and it has mushroom type drive members - meaning only steel wheels fit.

I'd sort of like to use a set of D1 alloys with my new road tyres - they would fit the front axle fine but obviously wont fit the rear.

No problem I thought, I'll stick a set of spacers on when the road tyres are on - but as mentioned the diameter of the hub is a few mm bigger and they don’t fit.

I can simply machine the hubs down a few mm and use the spacers, that would be OK but I think I'd prefer to change the drive members and hubs to D1 parts as I'd like to get this as standard as possible - but I want to keep my 10 spline diff.

Next simplest would be to not use D1 alloys and just fit ZU's

I have some ideas about what might fit by swapping to D1 components on the imperial axle tube but I'm trying to avoid having to make spacers for the callipers.

Options?

Thats really useful to know Mo thanks.

I have a complete D1 axle so I can do some measuring and its not a massive job to swap the bits over to measure up.. the only thing I'm stuck with is my 96 D1 shafts are 24 spline at the diff end - I think 200TDI discovery had 10 spline diffs but I have to admit I haven’t checked that. Its a shame I cant just swap the drive member over to the after market ones that 'look' a little shallower.

It would also be nice to be able to use D1 disks as they are maybe a little more future proof. I have a good almost new set of disks on the vehicle and another set in stock but after that I'm not sure where I'll get them from. They are definitely a different offset to D1 disks. Swapping to D1 stub axles might resolve that.

I havent checked what the bolts are that hold the old stub axle on but its not a show stopper if I have to re tap and use cap screws.

Yup, you'll need 200 disco 10 spline one piece half shafts for your diff, I've a 24 spline locker in mine so I'm using the 300 items.

IIRC (it's nearly 5 years ago) I didn't need to drill and re tap the axle case, I used the old bolts through the new stub axle.

Mo

• 1 month later...

Talk about a hotch potch of dimensions! My desktop looks a bit of a mess :-)

I have started measuring stuff up and my stumbling block is the D1 24 spline shafts wont fit through the old imperial stub axles 'cos of the seal land. As the seals are the same I suppose the 10 spline shafts wont fit either.

I can swap the drive flanges to the later metric ones without problems but that wont help.

I could machine the seal lands off but that makes them very hard to roadside fix.

Soooo.. it looks like I need to refurbish my D1 24 spine axle but then fit early 10 spline half shafts without the oil seal so I get my preferred wet bearings.

I presume the 10 spline shafts use the metric drive flange bolts and the seal lands?

This means I will have a recently refurbished imperial axle with all new bits that I will have to put in the pile of 'important spares that I must keep in case I need them'

:-/

looking at D1 parts cat rear axle hub/driveshafts, http://lrcat.com/#32/4/45232
hub to flange bolts are these 279146 which are imperial as shown here on brit-car's website http://www.brit-car.co.uk/search.php?xSearch=279146
also on LRSeries it gives this info

Applicable Models:
Discovery to JA
Range Rover Classic to vin JA624516
VARIOUS

if the above are for 10 & 24 spline axles they should fit.

the later metric version is BX110095M M10 x 45mm
as shown here note the extra info lower right
http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/listing/3619/BX110095M-BOLT-M10-X-45-PATCHLOC.html?search=BX110095M&page=1
&
http://www.brit-car.co.uk/search.php?xSearch=BX110095M

Thank you Ralph, the most interesting thing about the info you posted is the illustration in LRCAT for the 10 spline.

That does not show an oil seal land on the 10 spline shaft, that sort of suggests that I could just swap the half shafts and everything would be fine.

the 3/8UNF bolts are the same as my imperial axle and I measured the diameter of the recess that the drive member on the half shaft sits in on the hub - its the same.

So that does rather put me back on the tracks of just swapping the half shafts for D1 10 spline with the thinner drive member.

letting axle diff oil to the hub bearings can only be a good thing, glad the links were useful.

Oh yes, thats the plan. I always run wet bearings where possible.

I could really do with knowing how long a D1 ten spline shaft is. There is sonme info on Ian Ashcrofts page but I don’t know whether the length includes the one piece drive member - I may be able to measure one of mine here and see how it compares to the dimensions on the page.

The short shaft on my 90 should be on speed clips the number of times its been out this weekend :-)

If you have the mushroom one piece shaft most D1 alloys fit. Have you tried? Even drum brakes rear axle you can fit alloys. It's the 90/110 front drive members that protrude through the wheel centre the thickness of the the brake drum 5/6mm too much making the drive flange bolts fowl the inside of the alloy rim.

When you say D1 that's when they changed from 200tdi to 300tdi and they had very few change over parts some 200's were 24 spline. But usually 200tdi early alloys will fit the mushroom hubs, maybe the later 300tdi or 24 spline diff flat drive members won't. If I get 5 I'll pop over to the garage and try a 300 alloy on an older mushroom hub.

Oops.. please don’t waste too much time trying the wheels for me, I know what fits.. well almost :-)

*If*you have a ten spline shaft knocking about it would really help if you could measure its diameter and length, tell me if its got a seal land and confirm if the alloys fit over that.

My donor vehicle for the engine swap was a '97 Discovery 300 TDI with flat one piece 24 spline shafts and thats where the alloys came from, of course they fit the 24 spline axle but the axle I currently use is a very early imperial 10 spline RRC axle - which I refurbed and it has my quaife ATB 10spline diff.

The Discovery alloys definitely wont fit the big RRC mushroom half shafts. The ten spline ATB diff hasnt done a lot of work and I'm not going to swap it for a 24 spline as its not worth it for what I now do with the vehicle.

The easiest job would be swap to the 200 tdi 10 spline shafts but unless I just punt on a pair and try it I wont know for sure.

The next would be to swap the axle ends to the later setup, swap to a mix of 300TDI 24 spline parts with imperial hubs and 10 spline shafts which is straight forward but it makes it a bit of a Frankenstein and makes spares harder to manage.

I *could* use all 24 spline bits and do away with the ATB but it works so well towing big trailers out of fields.

Thanks for the help and pointers so far..