Impact Guns?

ltwt1981

Ive used the Clark cheapo job from machine mart, i wouldnt recommend it unless you dont plan to use it - mine lastyed 2 months :angry:

Dont buy Snap-On air tools ever - in my experiance they are sh*t, a complete waste of time. My 3/8 drive impact gun (the new gay red magnesium one) is back at snap-on to be fixed again, i had it 3months and it decided it didnt want to do forwards so it went back, repaired and a week later it was doing it again. They have now had it for over 4months and "are waiting for parts". T*ssers :angry: Everyone i know with snap-on air tools complains loudly and often about them

My Ingersol Rand on the other hand is a top peice of equipment - i have the 2135QTI, it is well made, light, powerful (1000lbs/ft or 1356Nm in reverse), and most importantly quiet like you wouldnt beleive. I would recommend them to anyone if your budget can stretch to it. You can find them for as little as £150ish although list is closer to £250. Do some research and you will find that this is more powerful than many 3/4 and some inch drive guns. :D

This tool has so far survived 18months of daily use and shows no wear or damage. It has been repeatedly drop off ramps and fallen off my toolbox and still works fine.

We have another at home, and a mate who is a truck mechanic also uses one and if it can survive falling off the top of a curtain-sider (he wrecks all tools :rolleyes: ) then it will stand up to most abuse.

Use 10mm airline or larger (8mm will strangle any gun) and oil daily for a long service life

HTH

Lewis

I have a machine mart cheapy and to be honest it does everything it says on the tin. I almost threw it away though as it seemd to get weaker and weaker to the extent it would harldy run a new nut up to finger tight! Turned out the hex nuts holding the back plate on had come ever so slightly loose. A quick tighten and its back to full power. Not in the league of a professional gun by any means (I have used them and WOW) but for almost all my needs around the farm its more than adequate. If and when it breaks I will probably get a better one though.

I too have an ingersol rand 2135 qti and I agree about the durabilty its spot on...but I have found its not as powerful as I had hoped I have a hydovane compressor (only about 4CFM (proper cfm not over inflated chinese cfm)) which runs at 7 bar (105 psi) with a 200 litre tank and 3/8" hose and there are still some bolts it wont undo and I have to crack them with a breaker bar. I was told by a commercial fitter that I should use more pressure as he runs 150 psi . Whats your thoughts

I too have an ingersol rand 2135 qti and I agree about the durabilty its spot on...but I have found its not as powerful as I had hoped I have a hydovane compressor (only about 4CFM (proper cfm not over inflated chinese cfm)) which runs at 7 bar (105 psi) with a 200 litre tank and 3/8" hose and there are still some bolts it wont undo and I have to crack them with a breaker bar. I was told by a commercial fitter that I should use more pressure as he runs 150 psi . Whats your thoughts

At work the pressure is about 130psi and that seems okay, but it never really see's any really tight bolts - we only have cars less than 2 years old and the tightest i can think of is new freelander subframe bolts at 180nm plus 180degrees (somewhere near 450nm i think) or RR hubnuts which are f*kin tight :angry: . BogMonster probably has a better idea what the actual figures are

Where my mate works they run 150psi(ish) but their lines are patched, split and leaking in so many places i doubt the gun see's anywhere near that, still manages truck hub nuts okay though :)

Lewis