Again Springs...

Hendrik

Been thinking a few weeks about the spring setup for my truck, compared a lot of setups (from orange/equipe stuff to OME, Procomp, Fox etc).

BUT... besides that it looks nice that a wheels can go down a lot (as for example with the orange extreme kit), do you get a benefit out of it? Has the wheel that is hanging down enough pression on it to give additional traction?

The only thing I can see is that your car stays more stable in crossaxles etc or am I wrong? but do you need the huge flex for that?

:unsure:

thx

Hendrik

Been thinking a few weeks about the spring setup for my truck, compared a lot of setups (from orange/equipe stuff to OME, Procomp, Fox etc).

BUT... besides that it looks nice that a wheels can go down a lot (as for example with the orange extreme kit), do you get a benefit out of it? Has the wheel that is hanging down enough pression on it to give additional traction?

The only thing I can see is that your car stays more stable in crossaxles etc or am I wrong? but do you need the huge flex for that?

:unsure:

thx

Hendrik

I agree.... there is no point in gaing 4" of unsprung down at the expense of 4" of sprung up. More travel is ideal whether sprung or unspring but sprung articulation has more traction / effect than unsprung.

Too many of the curreny kits ( IMHO ) do things wrongish.... They allow the wheel to drop miles but to keep the shocks safe from over comprssion the bumpstops have to be spaced so much that the axle can no longer go up any.

I reckon that there is 1" of safety margin in a standard setup that can be eaten into. That means a 1" drop turret on the front and a 2" dropo bracket on the rear is all that can be fitted without needing to pack the bumpstops by however much more you have gone down with.

Blatant advertising removed after receipt of compaints.

This forum is totally independant paid for by members

with no ties to any supplier, blatant advertising will be removed.

David

I agree.... there is no point in gaing 4" of unsprung down at the expense of 4" of sprung up. More travel is ideal whether sprung or unspring but sprung articulation has more traction / effect than unsprung.

Too many of the curreny kits ( IMHO ) do things wrongish.... They allow the wheel to drop miles but to keep the shocks safe from over comprssion the bumpstops have to be spaced so much that the axle can no longer go up any.

I reckon that there is 1" of safety margin in a standard setup that can be eaten into. That means a 1" drop turret on the front and a 2" dropo bracket on the rear is all that can be fitted without needing to pack the bumpstops by however much more you have gone down with.

Blatant advertising removed after receipt of compaints.

This forum is totally independant paid for by members

with no ties to any supplier, blatant advertising will be removed.

David

Thanks you are echoing my thoughts (I think :unsure: )

I have never unstood the bit about adding extra lift the putting dropped bump stoops to take it up again :huh:

Is this just a throw back to fitting huge wheels ala the US?

When it comes to drive is the weight of the axle etc. enough to grip?

Thanks you are echoing my thoughts (I think :unsure: )

I have never unstood the bit about adding extra lift the putting dropped bump stoops to take it up again :huh:

Is this just a throw back to fitting huge wheels ala the US?

When it comes to drive is the weight of the axle etc. enough to grip?

I have never understood the argument for hanging 1 wheel on an axle down 2 feet to show the world that you can articulate to the magic 1000 on one of those fairground ramps at LR shows. It is all done on tarmac and the weight of an axle is enough to maintain grip. Do the same thing on mud and you might as well pi** into the wind.

Now Simon R's secret idea has a much better chance of gripping in the mud which is where all LR's should be tested!

My Nas90 has been running with a modest 1 inch lift and lockers all round and I don't get stuck too often only when the BFG's are outclassed by Simex's and Petes monster tyres. It is more set-up for the road rather than extreme offroad but the lockers compensate for the lack of articulation :D

It works well for me. :rolleyes: I don't even need a pair of lockers. :ph34r:

Exactly, this comes up time and time again with people arguing against it and going on about no weight to get traction etc etc - Yet there are plenty of vehicles out there proving them wrong! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Steve

Exactly, this comes up time and time again with people arguing against it and going on about no weight to get traction etc etc - Yet there are plenty of vehicles out there proving them wrong! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Steve

A wheel with spring pressure will always be better than a wheel with no weight on it al all. Having said that any wheel actually on the floor is beeter than one just waving about in the air! :D:D

What i argue against is suspension systems that lose 'sprung articulation' in favour of 'unsprung articulation' which is simply less effective and a backward step.. but good for the 'look how far my wheel can fall' boasts.

The only sensible reason to pack bumpstops is to prevent big tyres from hitting bodywork on the way back up as it is easier to do it this way than to chop bodtwork away.

A 33" tyre will just about squeeze into the gap left by standard bumpstops. This size of tyre is normally big enough for most jobs.. How many vehicles with 2" lower turrets and +2" shocks giving loads of down but no up have tyres this big - very few I would suggest.... They have probably got 31" and a suspension package that is less effective than the one they started with!!

David