Rebuild of my LHD SIII 109" STW with 300 TDI

Hi

I hope you will find this interesting and that i can get some advise, even the fact this Land Rover is LHD.

History of the project is long, way to long. it started some 10 years ago, when i bought a 1967 109" STW, Ex. danish civil defence. got it home, stripped it apart and order a new chassis, springs and started to rebuild it. Then life got in the way: the project has moved twice, changed specs several times and will for sure change again. but this is how it looks to day:

1965 SII 109" STW on the papers

Richards Galv. Chassis, made for 2.5 N/A engine, removable gearbox crossmember

Rocky mountians spring

Salisbury rear axle, series diff.

Std. Rover front axle, series diff.

Disco 300 TDI engine

LT77S gearbox

LT230 transfer, ratio 1.2

PAS steering - LHD P38 steering house + defender coloum and the rest series

SIII Bulkhead

SIII front end

SII from bulkhead and backwards.

Interior - will come in time....

Status oktober 2015:

post-8755-0-45114000-1444635022_thumb.jpg

Chassis with springs, dampers, axles = rolling chassis

Engine and gearbos mounts made, using 2.5 N/A chassis mounts, LHD side engine mount from 2.5 and homemade RHD mount to go around the oliefilter, gearbox mounts from 110", bolted to chassis in new holes with crush tubes. engine and gearbox dropped in for test fitting and task finding.

SIII bulkhead in the making, found a good one, the only need og new footwells and doorpillars - ready for test fitting and modification to suit the LT77 gearbox and new steering setup.

SIII Frontpanel - found a rustfree takeoff, and started to mod it for 300TDI radiator and TD5 intercooler. radiator needs to sit as far to thr RHD side as possible, to leave space for the P38 steering house, the intercooler just high enough to clear it

So now the task at hand:

being a LHD, my space on the LHD side of the engine is kind of restricted, hence the P38 servo and defender coloum, giving much better space around the Turbo and alternator. i will have to cut the inner wing and make some new, but would prefer keeping it to a minimum.

post-8755-0-47291600-1444635091_thumb.jpg

I know I can get(or make one up) a Gwyn Levis bracket for a second or in my case one alternator in the A/C spot, that moves the alternator for me, leaves great space for steering and hoses in the old spot. but what about the Fan belt ? can i just get a shorter one or do i need to make up on idle pully or ?? any advises would be helpfull.

post-8755-0-26848600-1444636334_thumb.jpg

Looking good. I'll be fitting a 200 Tdi into a SWB soon..

You can get shorter belts so moving the alt. should not cause too many problems.

Not sure what you mean by "topedo" ?

"english is not my native tongue"

Know the feeling - Me not speak English either...

Hope that transferbox ratio works for you. It doesn't in my 110...

Interesting project.

I did not have to alter my Series 3 bulkhead for either the 300Tdi or LT77 but it appears in the pictures that your motor is sitting higher than mine. The crank center bolt, is that visible through the hole in the front cross member? The serpentine belt on the 300Tdi is I believe a bugger to try to match up with anything else. Even with my motor being lower I have no issues with the alt & inner fender.

As mentioned above I to think that the gearing will be too low. You can either install 3.54 diff's which affects all gears in both Hi/Lo range or change the gear set in the LT230 to 1.003 which I did and very happy with.

Todd.

Yes i hope the ratio will work, you all had me going, the other day, when writing about ratios and diffs. i'll stick to this, until proper road tested, if not working i can go both 1.003 og 3.5 diffs.

the problems is not the alternator and the wings, it is getting better space for the steering rods and P38 servo uit. i might explain better.

i'm fitting the P38 servo unit in the hole for the normal series steering relay - WHY?: due to danish law, i'm not allow to alter the chassis and fitting the servo house on the outside of the chassis is to big a modification of the steering setup for the MOD guys to approv.

see this tread for more, i'm just doing it on the LHD side:

http://www.lightweightlandroverclub.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5472&start=15

so cutting the wing is to get space for steering rods, moving alternator is to get better space for P38 servo unit

Yes i hope the ratio will work, you all had me going, the other day, when writing about ratios and diffs. i'll stick to this, until proper road tested, if not working i can go both 1.003 og 3.5 diffs.

the problems is not the alternator and the wings, it is getting better space for the steering rods and P38 servo uit. i might explain better.

i'm fitting the P38 servo unit in the hole for the normal series steering relay - WHY?: due to danish law, i'm not allow to alter the chassis and fitting the servo house on the outside of the chassis is to big a modification of the steering setup for the MOD guys to approv.

see this tread for more, i'm just doing it on the LHD side:

http://www.lightweightlandroverclub.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5472&start=15

so cutting the wing is to get space for steering rods, moving alternator is to get better space for P38 servo unit

Interesting link, I've never seen it done that way. Of course moving the steering relay in it will cause the clearance issues. Does it matter what version of the P38 steering relay that you use? ......just wondering if using either the RHD or LHD relay would move the steering linkage outwards?

Interesting link, I've never seen it done that way. Of course moving the steering relay in it will cause the clearance issues. Does it matter what version of the P38 steering relay that you use? ......just wondering if using either the RHD or LHD relay would move the steering linkage outwards?

I looked at that too, RHD will mean it won't fit behind the frontpanel, if you look closely on som of the photos in that tread, you can see his servo unit is very tight with the front panel.

i will try to make a try fit and take photos, just need to get that pitman arm off.......

Hey.

I just purchased a SWB SIII with RRC axles so it means springs and discs.

I'm GOING to put a 300tdi in it, I'm just wondering: Thought is to take drivetrain from Disco and thus a R380 (longer version) with all that entails. Shifter will have to have some mechanism to make it not sit in the middle seat so then I'm thinking maybe just get an automatic and solve that problem... thoughts? Will it suck mileage wise to have a 4speed automatic instead of a 5 speed manual?

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Well, better get this back on track ^_^

With a little help from friends i got the Pitman arm of the P38 servo unit and set to work, machining Grinding it down in size to fit in the original series steering relay hole. along that i made the top plate which will hold the servo unit. well see pictures.

post-8755-0-64735200-1446204138_thumb.jpg

removed the alternator and a trial fiiting of steering parts. parts used: P38 Servo unit, steering coloum and links from 2008 puma 110"

post-8755-0-41917200-1446204210_thumb.jpg

and the original pitman arm - maybe i can just lower the Servo unit 5-10mm more and bend it ?? any one tried bending cast iron this thick :blink:

post-8755-0-51681900-1446204296_thumb.jpg

Can any one give me a measure on how much of the steering coloum i should have on this side of the bulkhead ? - i have no reference, as i'm building from collected parts, no donor car. :glare:

post-8755-0-41473100-1446204386_thumb.jpg

also been busy cleaning parts

post-8755-0-40041500-1446204700_thumb.jpg

using citric acid in this big grey tank with lid. drop it in leave for 24 hours or more, wash in water, wirebrush them a bit. if not clean enough, just back in the tub and wait 24 hours. easy, clean and it will remove everything: paint, rust, etc. but no oil or grease.

post-8755-0-46582500-1446204862_thumb.jpg

I would not even consider trying to bend a cast iron arm.

On my 109 which has PAS, the two holes in the bottom of the outer steering column are sitting on a bracket just below the angle of the footwell. Ideally it's a bit too high, but looking at yours I can see you have the bottom of the column sat slightly lower than mine, so you should be good as it is.

Is that a LHD steeringbox? Can you fit a RHD box instead? The angle looks pretty extreme to me. Also, Ideally both u/j should make the same angle to get a linear relation between steering input and steering angle of the box.

Daan

Thanks, well i use a LHD box because a RHD won't fit behind the frontpanel. and LHD is more common i Denmark.

The angles on the photo looks a bit extreme, I moved the complet steering around a bit, which divided the angles more to both U/J's. also the bottom end of the steering coloum is not fixed yet, i have to modify the bulkhead support first and find the right length on both sides of the bulkhead - glad i have the 88" to take measures from.

about the pitman arm, i have research a bit on Santana and it seem a pitman arm from a Santana 1982 and forward has the same splines and the needed bend, so have to get one of those - i guess SWMBO aka GLW won't mind a holiday trip to Spain to pick up some parts.... :D